Chapter one

(Louis's POV)

A string of lights hang over the stage, shining like stars. It's beautiful, almost sending me into a state of possession as I get lost in my thoughts. The small auditorium is calming and peaceful. I imagine Romeo and Juliet the musical preforming in front of a full house of people sitting in the seats, and the crowd cheering when the red curtain closes.

I stand in front of the stage, while day dreaming and thinking of ideas. I bite my pen, grazing my teeth against the cap because it's a habit that I do when I'm thinking hard or making decisions. As director of the musical, I have major responsibilities and am in charge of casting the roles, making the set and props, selling the tickets, advertising, and pretty much anything else you can think of.

To fulfil my duties that I'm expected to complete all by myself, I usually spend my evenings in the school auditorium until the janitor kicks me out. I never really want to go home, though; the theatre is the only place where I believe I actually fit in.

I wish that I could play the role of Romeo because in my opinion, I have a fairly good voice, but unfortunately I have terrible stage fright and I'm very antisocial. I'm invisible to everyone at my school, except for the teachers and a few students, who sometimes remember my name. . . sometimes.

I sigh and scribble a few notes across the paper on my clip board, then look down at my watch. It's already five o'clock. The janitor will be here in a few minutes to tell me to get out.

I gather up my notes and shove them in my messenger bag carelessly, then sling the strap over my shoulder. I push my glasses up the bridge of my nose, and open up the heavy doors of the auditorium. The hallway is completely empty. Then again, who would be staying after school this late?

Exactly, nobody.

I turn a corner and feel something hard smash into me, causing me to fall down and smack my back against the cold, hard floor. Ow. I rub my forehead and look up to see Mr. Oliver, our principal.

He's the only person at this whole God damn school who knows I exist. BHe's kind to me, unlike everyone else.

His thin lips are pressed into a frown. "Louis, what're you doing here?" he says and glances down at his watch. "It's nearly five o'clock. Shouldn't you be home?"

I clear my throat and stand up and my eyes go wide. "Uh, I'm sorry sir. I was just leaving," I explain, gesturing towards the school doors.

He smiles and nods his bald head. "So, how is the musical coming along?" he asks me.

I shrug. "Kind of slow, I guess. I still need to find a role for Romeo."

"Well, good luck with that, Lou. I expect great things from you. You're very talented, you know?"

I give him a weak smile. "Thanks, sir."

"Now get home. Your parents must be expecting you home soon," he points out.

I nod.

He walks past me without saying anything else and disappears into his office. After a moment, I push my hands into my pockets and walk out to the parking lot. A rush of cold hits me as the Autumn breeze brushes against my face, turning my cheeks red and crisp like an apple.

I jump when I see three teenage boys in the parking lot, spraying black spray paint over the teacher's cars. They're all obviously from West Anchor High, a school that's always bickering with ours. You could say that our schools are enemies, I guess. Sometimes their idiotic students ruin our proms, or graffiti hateful words on the side of our school.

I'm frozen in my tracks as I watch them spray black paint over some teacher's cars. They're on the other side of the parking lot, so maybe they won't notice me. One of them is tall, muscular, and definitely intimidating. Another one is very tan and short, but looks strong nonetheless. The last has an obnoxious Mohawk and what seems to be white coloured contacts, as well as a lip piercing.