Act |

Please remember that any resemblance in the story is unintended.

All Rights Reserved

Read, vote and comment.

Enjoy ~

Act I Scene I

Nduka-: Town crier.
Oriaku-: Adaure's maidservant.
Ejike-: Oriaku's father.
King Ezeugo-: King of Uzoakula kingdom.
Mazi Anyanwu-: Elder Anyanwu, the second chief.
Mazi Okoro-: the third chief.
Mazi Ajuzie-: the fourth chief.
Mazi Mbaka-: the head chief.

***

This scene opens to show the town crier announcing throughout the night fallen community, with his gong, about the New yam festival which would take place in front of the palace.

Nduka: (hits gong) People of Uzoakula kingdom, I greet you all. There has been an order that the ceremony of the New yam festival would begin tomorrow at noon at the palace, and every family is expected to be there. Failure to abide by this would attract not only being publicly disgraced but also a fine and one full harvest to the Royal household. ( hits gong).

Ejike: Oriaku! Oriaku!!

Oriaku: Yes papa (she runs out of the house).

Ejike: Didn't you hear what the town crier said. We have to prepare so that we can meet up, you know that I have so many things to do at the farm especially since you left to stay with the princess.

Oriaku: Of course papa,I know and that is the reason I have returned to help you at the farm tomorrow. I would also have to help the princess get ready for the festival, you know she has to look pretty.

Ejike: Look who's talking about being pretty as if you are not pretty yourself.

Oriaku: I know that papa, mama always told me that every woman is beautiful in her own way, that is the reason why I am not jealous of the princess because my turn to shine is coming soon.

Ejike: Amen but don't pray for it to come too soon or else, you know I'm not strong enough to be left on my own.

Oriaku: Papa don't talk like that, I do want my time to come but I also know that I have to take care of you. ........Oh papa, the soup is still on the fire, I have to see to it. (She goes in).

               Scene II

               ********

At the palace, the King is having a brief meeting with his chiefs.

King Ezeugo: We have been celebrating the new yam festival for a long time now and I have a feeling that none is going to be special as this one.

Anyawu: Yes, even I feel the same way. Maybe it is because the harvest of this season has been plentiful and healthy.

Okoro: We really thank God for his mercies and grace.

Mbaka: So how do you suppose we handle the ceremony tomorrow, because I am sure a lot of farmers are bringing in some of their harvest.

King Ezeugo: Of course they should. It serves as an appreciation to the Royal household and it has always been our tradition.

Ajuzie: So then, we would have to see what it will be like tomorrow, all we can ask for is a good weather.(The other chiefs nod in agreement).

King Ezeugo: Yes I agree, if the weather turns out bad or is harsh tomorrow, the festival will not go as planned.

Mbaka: Your Highness since there is nothing more to discuss, I think it is time to end the meeting because I don't want to have little of the delicious Nsala soup and fufu my wife is cooking for tonight.

Okoro: (laughing) Mbaka you've always loved eating, soon you will become Onye Usa (a glutton).

Mbaka: You cannot change my mood with your nasty comments.

King Ezeugo: Alright, you all may begin to start arguing now like a bunch of kids if this meeting is not closed, the meeting is ended for today, so we can all go and rest. See you all tomorrow. (As he rises to go out).

Chiefs: Igweeee! (Your Highness).

The scene ends as the chiefs exit.

Whee!. 650 words, I try naa at least I deserve a comment. But it's still up to you guys to choose to vote and comment. It'd mean a lot to me

❤❤❤

.

P.S the words in parentheses are the English interpretation of the italicized words.

See you in the next chapter, stay tuned .