ACT V

From previous chapter;  The king confides in Maazi Mbaka about how he has been feeling recently towards Oriaku the palace maid.

***

Act VI scene I

  The town crier goes round the community informing the villagers about the King's command.

Nduka:(hits gong) His Royal Highness King Ezeugo has asked to see the head members of every family at the village square because he has something very important and that it is an issue he has to deal with immediately. This is the order from the king (hits gong).

Peace: I wonder why the king told us suddenly to gather at the village square under this hot afternoon sun. What could be so important?

Ozioma: I may not be correct, but I have noticed the tension in the palace lately and regularly, Chief Mbaka has been visiting the palace having discussion with the king but one thing's for sure, this issue has to do with his regular visits. But until then my friend, I have to go and prepare. See you later. ( They depart)

***

At the village square...

Mbaka:The people of Uzoakula, Kwenu.

Villagers:Yaa!

Mbaka: I know that you can see these three people standing before you all today.They are Ejike the farmer,Oriaku his daughter and Samuel the stranger that has been living with them for a while now. Two nights ago,Oriaku was seen in the forest that leads to the cave of the unseen together with this stranger Samuel, she has been continually questioned as to what the both of them sought there that night but none of them has given a meaningful answer. So this day, Okapi would reveal to us what they have tried to keep a secret. Listen very closely all of you. Okapi, you're welcome.

Okapi:People of Uzoakula kwenu,kwezuonu.

Villagers:Yaa!

Okapi: Well, two nights ago, I was going through the forest to the cave of the unseen as it is my routine. Then I saw two human beings, it seemed odd at first because humans rarely go there and second,it was very late at that time so I decided to stay close by and see who they were. But to my surprise, I saw Oriaku daughter of Ejike and Samuel the stranger. Oriaku was crying and she seemed confused and Samuel was saying something to her. Immediately I left and later on decided to tell the king. This girl (he points at her) has been regularly asked what it was they were doing in that forest and at that time but she has bluntly refused to tell anyone. Then I asked the gods and it was revealed that she has given up her virginity that very night.

Oriaku:No, it's not true.

Mbaka:Will you shut your mouth you useless product of the planet.

Okapi:I am not arguing with anyone but Oriaku will go the proper process of confirming her virginity and if she is still found to be, then let my head be cut off for saying lies, but if not then she is an abomination and must not remain in our land.

Ejike:I know and I trust my daughter, she can't do something like that.

Okapi: Your Highness, Mbaka,Ejike,the future shall tell the truth, man or gods. I take my leave.

( he leaves the scene)

HRH: This gathering is dismissed.
  ( He stands and goes out and others follow).

   Scene II

  Okapi, Oriaku, Ejike, Samuel, King Ezeugo,Mbaka and some other people are gathered to hear the result of the test and it has proven indeed to be positive. Ejike wails and curses uncontrollably. Samuel and Oriaku are both confused while the villagers make angry noises at them.

Oriaku: Your Majesty, I do not know how to explain this but even I do not know how I ended up there in the first place. All I can remember is that I was at my Father's compound when suddenly I felt dizzy, I can't recall anything else.

Mbaka: And you Samuel, what do you have to say for your presence there?

Samuel: I offered to help Pa Ejike on his farm when someone told me that the chief priest wanted to see me in the forest that leads to the cave of the unseen. I left what I was doing only to go there and find Oriaku unconscious on the ground.

A villager: Méchiè gí ónù (shut up your mouth) which chief priest, the ghost of the one in your village or another one?

Mbaka: Hold your peace people, we are here to solve a problem and not start one, biko géé nti ( please listen). Samuel continue

Samuel: Then I woke her up and asked her how she got there but she herself was confused and she began to cry, then I started consoling her and that was when the chief priest and the King's guards found us.

Mbaka: If you say someone told you that the chief priest called you, then who is that person, can you check if he's here.

Samuel: I did not see the person's face.

Mbaka: Then how are you so sure that you were the one being referred to? But that's by the way, Okapi we are gathered here to learn the truth of the matter, so what have you found out?

Okapi: Well these two have defiled the land and it must be cleansed as soon as possible before the wrath of the gods come upon us.

King Ezeugo:  How do we do that?

Okapi: Oriaku and Samuel must stop existing in this village.

Ejike: Nooo! My only treasure. Please your Majesty do not take my daughter away from me, I beg of you.

Okapi: Your Highness, a decision must be taken in the next ten days or something terrible will begin to befall us.

HRH: Okapi you have done your job well enough. Now that this menace has stopped, I would like everyone to return to their homes and do not do anything rash until I have made a decision. In the meantime, Ejike and his family will be held in the King's custody that they may not escape. The gathering is adjourned.

All (stand)Igwéé!! ( They depart and the guards take in Ejike and his people).

               Scene ends.

Thanks for reading this far. Please vote and comment if you enjoyed the book so far.

  » This book has ranked #20 in African out of 527 stories, thank you 💓💓💓