ACT XV

ACT XV Scene I
....

It's been a few days, one week since Olaedo decided to accept Prince Obinna's request to live in the palace. Being the humble person that she's been brought up to be, she declined the offer to stay in her own quarters and instead chose to stay at the maids' quarters.

(In the maids' quarters, Olaedo is lying on a bed with  another maid )

Enyinna: Honestly, I don't understand why you declined the offer to stay in your personal quarters but chose to stay here with us slaves. (She continued folding the wrapper in her hands)

Olaedo: I apologize for intruding in your space and if my decision does not make you happy. Staying in my own quarters would only remind me of how lonely my life has become and I don't want to be reminded of all that I've lost. If you're not happy with my stay here, I can just leave.

Enyinna: Oh no! Of course we love having you here. E ba buru oke ibu.

Olaedo: Ndewoo, thank you.

  (Whilst they were talking, Mmachi another maid who is plump and dark in complexion came in, grumbling)

Enyinna: (looks perplexed) Mmachi, I've never seen you like this before, what can the problem be?

Mmachi: Ó wu obughi Onyii na Nkechi. They told the queen that there's a problem in their family and are both needed home. Now the queen has consented to it, leaving only four maids in this large palace. Oru akarigoo.

Enyinna: Indeed our work has increased, what would happen now?

Mmachi: Igwa gi eziokwu, amaghi m

Enyinna: Can't you speak to the queen about it?

Mmachi: I don't want to yet, let's continue with our work and see how things go before I can meet her about the issue.
  (Mmachi left the room after laying her complaint and Olaedo took the chance to question Enyinna about what she meant)

Olaedo: Do you mean to say that the absence of two maids could double the work for you all?

Enyinna: Oh yes

Olaedo: So why can't the royal Queen employ the help of new ones?

Enyinna: Well there used to be a time she did that, it was especially before the death of his Majesty, her husband. But the qualities she lined up that a maid of the palace of Ebisa should possess were not found in any of the hand selected maidens of this kingdom. So eventually... she gave up because the search was tiring

Olaedo: Qualities like what?
  (She sat up on the bed, paying rapt attention to Enyinna while her eyes followed every movement Enyinna made)

Enyinna: Hardworking. Respectful. Responsible. Disciplined. Honest. Selfless and dedicated to work. But all of them, failed in one quality or the other.

Olaedo: Oh that's too bad...but I think I have an idea. What if you recommend me to the queen?

Enyinna: What?! You're the assistant physician, the queen could slap us if we bring a matter like you've suggested to her.

Olaedo: Ohh (she looked sullen)

Enyinna: But I'll try to talk to Mmachi about it.