ACT XVIII

Act XVIII Scene I

Prince Obinna, Queen Adaeze and elders of Ebisa kingdom are gathered in the throne room for the council meeting. Prince Obinna decided to drop the bombshell about the maiden he wants to be his queen but he asks to speak to the members of the council, privately.

Obinna: (walks in and stands before the throne) Your Majesty and the elders in council, I greet you all.

All: You're welcome your highness. May you live long.

Obinna: I know that I was meant to make this announcement publicly once I've chosen a bride...but you see that's the problem, I don't think my previous choice was the right one.

Njoku: What do you mean my prince?

Obinna:(sits down on the stool next to the throne) Mazi Njoku, I don't think I can continue with my plans to marry Egobumma and make her my queen. I've discovered some things which I don't feel comfortable with anymore and I won't want to make the mistake of going against my heart and mind. Egobumma is not the right maiden for me. (He looks at the head chief who's also Egobumma's father).

Obinna: Mazi Eziaba, I'm truly sorry for this. You know I look up to you, you're like a father figure to me but I just can't do this. Your daughter has been doing a lot of bad and humiliating things which I think would be better if you heard about it from her.

Eziaba: Very well your highness, what more can I say since you have made your decision. If you do not wish to go ahead with the marriage then it's no problem. It is said that, ‘he that wears the shoe, knows where it pains him’. I will talk to Egobumma, hopefully she'll take it with understanding.

Obinna: Okay, thank you.

Queen: Son are you sure about this?

Obinna: I'm certain Queen mother.

Njoku: (sighs) Since that's settled, we have more pressing issues at hand to settle, my prince.

Obinna: what are you saying, Mazi Njoku?

Njoku: I've verified that the rumour about the uprising in Uzoakula is true. Princess Akunna, the second daughter to the late king Ezeugo I of Uzoakula kingdom wants to take over the kingdom and sit on the throne. The people of Ekendu kingdom who have been a long-standing ally of our kingdom, have requested for our help in this matter. They want us to fight alongside them against the uprising and defend their son, Prince Akobundu.

Eziaba: This is a serious matter, we should prepare for war.

Queen: (gasps) War?! I don't think that's a good idea. So many lives could be lost, please we have to rethink this.

Njoku: Your Majesty, there is no time to rethink. Besides, Ekendu kingdom are like brothers to us. It is therefore our duty to always help them in times of trouble.

Obinna: Can I have few hours to myself, I'll come back with an answer.

Eziaba: Do hurry up your highness, this is a matter of life and death.

Njoku: Calm down Mazi Eziaba (he places a hand on Eziaba's shoulder).

Obinna: (stands up and walks out of the throne room).

Scene II

Obinna is sitting on a chair in his room when Egobumma walked in.

Obinna: Egobumma what do you want now?

Egobumma: I came to know the outcome of your announcement to the Royal council, when has the date for the wedding been fixed?

Obinna: There's not going to be any wedding.

Egobumma: (walks closer to him) what do you mean?

Obinna: Egobumma I'm sorry that I gave you false hopes but I don't think I want to go ahead and marry you.

Egobumma:(flares up. Throws her arm around, in anger) No! No! Obinna you can't do this to me, if I've done anything wrong then I'm sorry please forgive me. Just don't do this to me please...

Obinna: (holds her shoulders) We're not meant for each other, our union would be so wrong. Please try to move on with your life as I have every intention to move on with mine.

Egobumma:(pushes his hands away) I knew it! This is about Olaedo isn't it? Finally, she's ensnared you into her trap. What did she give you huh? Her soul, heart or body?!

Obinna: (raises his voice) You want to talk about Olaedo? Yes, she made me realize how wrong I was to think you're the woman I want to spend the rest of my life with. Now, nothing you do or say would change my decision. Leave before I have you thrown out. (He point to the door).

Egobumma: Don't bother, I know my way out. (She spits on him) you disgust me. (She walks out of his room and banged the door).

Obinna was washing his face and his purple robe, when a knock sounded on the door.

Obinna: come in.

Olaedo: Sorry if I came at the wrong time your highness, I wanted to replace the bedsheets.

Obinna: No it's okay.
(There's absolute silence as Olaedo is changing the sheets)

Olaedo: Are you alright your highness?

Obinna:(sighs and takes a seat on one of the chairs ) I just have a lot on my mind. There's this kingdom that we share a bond with and they're in big trouble right now. Mazi Eziaba thinks it's wise to go to war alongside them but my mother doesn't like that option, she's worried that something would go wrong. I can't think of any other option to stop them from going to war.

Olaedo: You can try settling the dispute between the people of the kingdom who started the trouble. Make them see sense and know that they have no chance against your kingdom and the Ekendu kingdom, then try to understand their reason for the uprising.

Obinna:  That's a good idea, why didn't I think of that. You're a genius. I'm going to talk to the members of the council about this and if they're okay with it, we leave at first light tomorrow morning. And, you're coming with us.

Olaedo:(gasps) What? Me...why?

Obinna: First, this was your idea. Second, you're the royal physician. You have to take care of us during our journey.

Olaedo: I'm assistant physician, you're forgetting that.

Obinna: still pack your things. (He leaves the room).

Olaedo: As you say, your highness.

.....
.....

WHO CAN GUESS WHAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN NEXT??

Vote, comment and ask your questions.

Lemme explain the issue with the kingdoms.
Uzoakula kingdom is having an uprising headed by Akunna, and (Ekendu kingdom) which Akobundu also Adaure's husband hails from, has asked help from Obinna's kingdom (Ebisa kingdom.)

Thanks for reading.