ACT VII

Act VI  Scene I

Few days later, the king and his chiefs were in the palace deliberating over Ejike's matter.

Ajuzie: Your Highness, I do not intend to give you orders or to try to manipulate your decisions, but I would like that you make a decision quickly so that the wrath of the gods will not fall upon us.

Okoro: I agree with Ajuzie, it's not fair that the entire village should suffer for the abomination and crime of just two people.

Anyanwu: My lord I suggest that as the chief priest said, Oriaku and Samuel should be cleansed from this land, and so their abomination. I also gathered that Samuel is not even a kindred of this village and yet he commits such a hideous offence. According to the laws of our village, he should face death because he tried to bring death to us.
   (Okoro cuts in ).

Okoro: Exactly!, Anyanwu you have spoken well. Oriaku is she not intelligent enough to know what will befall any body who does such a thing. Then why did she go ahead and do what she did? (He asks no one in particular).

HRH: I have heard you and your statements are not wrong at all, so I shall give my final decision on the matter tomorrow, you can all go and attend to other matters.

       (They all stand and bow): Igwee!.
As they all left, Mbaka hesitated until the three chiefs went out then he walked closer to the King's throne.

Mbaka: Igwee!

HRH: Mbaka how can I help you? You seem troubled since today.

Mbaka: Your majesty, I did not want to bring this up in the meeting earlier because it might create suspicions in the minds of the other chiefs.

HRH: Go on

Mbaka: Your Highness, I think that Samuel is watching us and he may have found out, because he is begin rebellious lately and there was this one time, he made a strange remark, but I cannot put it together the things he said seemed to be accusatory.

HRHIf he has found out, why has he not said anything, and I do not believe that he would know everything that happened since we haven't discussed it and Oriaku also can't tell.

Mbaka: I don't know but I do not want him to disgrace us, perhaps he is looking for concrete evidence so he can prove it to the people.

HRH: Very well then, tomorrow I give my verdict and I will ensure the two of them shall not remain in this village.

Mbaka: Igwee!!( he bowed and left).

                     ****

HRHOh, what a terrifying dream, what can this dream mean. Should I consult the gods, no I don't think so, after what I've done will they listen to my request. I must keep this to myself.

  Scene II

HRH: Uzoakula kwenu!!( Greetings).

The people: Yaa!

HRH: Ndi nwoke kwenu! ( men greetings)

Men: Yaa!

HRH: Nwanyi kwenu! (Women greetings).

Women: Yaa!

HRH': Úmú okorobia na úmú agbohobia kwenu! ( Youths greetings).

The Youths: Yaa!

HRH: Uzoakula kwezuonu!

The People: Yaa!

HRH: My people, we have gathered here today to witness the fate of Oriaku and Samuel concerning what they have done. According to the laws and tradition of our land, anyone who isn't married and gets into an affair will be severely punished, pay a fine and perform cleansing rituals for the land, but in the case of these two. One is a stranger and one is from our land. Also according to our laws, the stranger who commits such, shall be held bound, taken to the cave located in the forbidden forest and left there to be decided by the chief priest and the gods what will be done to him. So, that is going to be the fate of this young man and the young lady will face her punishment.

( The people begin to murmur, some in agreement others in disagreement).

The chief priest is seen to be approaching the area and the noises soon stop.

Okapi: Uzoakula kwenu!
The people: Yaa!

Okapi: Your Majesty, may you live long. I apologize for not informing you that I would be here, but what brought me here today came on a short notice. The gods have revealed to me what should be done to these two.

                ****
Yay! I held up to my promise and finally an update. Tell me how you find this chapter.

I pity Oriaku, paying for a crime she hardly knows about.

Pls, vote, comment, share and feel free to follow.

Ranked #28 in maiden out of 2.12k stories