Chapter 1: A new beginning

Author's Note:

Welcome to my very first fanfiction (or rather my first story in general). This will be a reader insert story and will have a different ending than it did in the show regarding the whole VIRM plot (nearly everything past the Ep 15-16 mark will deviate from the show + no VIRM). I appreciate every comment and criticism you can give me. I'd also like to thank CulpableGlint for the inspiration he gave me for his story (You should check out his stories as well). Now, without further ado, enjoy.

Disclaimer: Darling in the FranXX and its respective characters and elements belong to Trigger and A1 Studios.

XXXXXX

APE Transport Plane en route to Plantation 13

"I wanna take a bath," Zero Two complains. "Not again. Show some self-control," answers Dr. Franxx from the row of seats in front of her.

Zero Two leans over to the right and asks the man that is wearing a breathing apparatus, "Hey, how do I smell?"

"Let him rest," Dr. Franxx replies, "He's drained after the last battle." He then turns his head forward and says, "Sheesh, what a high-maintenance girl."

It was then, that a chuckle could be heard from the opposite end of the front row. It was a girl with long red hair, about the same height as Zero Two. Next to her was a boy of the same height with short white hair that was combed to small spikes on either side. He didn't seem to be paying attention as he was just looking out the window.

"Does Plantation 13 have an ocean?" Zero Two asks. "An ocean?" Nana asks back. "I wanna swim in some clear ocean water," Zero Two responds. "I'm sorry to say there's no ocean there. Won't a shower do?" Nana replies. "I'm in the mood for a swim," Zero Two answers, but the conversation is interrupted as the pilot announces, "We'll arrive at Plantation 13 in 15 minutes."

Dr. Franxx glances at his datapad again, puts it in his pocket and says "If you'll excuse me, I'll check after the last member of our group here in the back," as he grabs his cane and starts walking down the corridor. "I could check on him for you," Nana says. "It's fine," Dr. Franxx simply replies.

XXXXXX

You can see the aftermath of a battle in front of you. Pools of blue liquid decorating the barren landscape, shattered Klaxosaur cores lying around and even more Klaxosaurs destroying what is left of Plantation 74. The four standard-issue Franxx units from your squad were lying around, broken to pieces, crushed or completely annihilated. Your own Franxx is missing half of its body and you can faintly see another Franxx, which looks different than the standard issue unit with its royal blue and silver coloring, carrying your Franxx to safety before you pass out.

The door to your room opens, waking you up in the process and you find yourself back in the small infirmary of an APE Transport Plane. As Dr. Franxx walks through the door you get up and look at him.

"How are you today (Y/N)? I can see that most of your injuries have already healed," the Doctor asks. "Yes, I do feel better," you answer dryly, "Where are we headed?" "To Plantation 13, where we'll be staying for a while," he states while looking at some data on the monitor next to you.

"Does that mean I am being assigned to a new partner?" you ask with a curious tone to which the doctor simply shakes his head.

"Then what's the point? Why am I not being sent back to the Garden? I am a failure, I was supposed to defend Plantation 74, which was destroyed nearly a week ago. To top it all of I am the only survivor of my squad and-" "My boy, you worry too much about the past. What's done is done and nothing will change that. You should focus on what's ahead of you," the doctor interrupts you and starts going toward the door.