Epilogue

After that day, the war that had raged for centuries came finally to an end with the demise of the APE council and their final bastion. It is a time to rejoice and celebrate, but there is much work to be done. The greatest task was to rebuild civilization begins now.

After the battle at Plantation 1, you met with the Klaxosaur Princess one last time at the tomb of the Klaxosaur King far in the north to return the sword to where it belongs at its final resting place, just as you promised.

The Klaxosaur Princess stated that the remnants of her kind would give themselves to restore the planet and that it would be up to you to maintain it and fully restore it to its former glory. After that, she relinquished her crown, and with it, her immortality. She was all alone for centuries, with the only thing that kept her going being the fight for their survival and the illusion that her kind could be saved.

However, she died fulfilled and without regrets because when she looked through the dragon's mind to witness the final battle, she saw how brightly you and Zero Two shone. And even though the two of you are not of the exact same kind as her, she knows that a part of her people will live on through you.

With the help of Dr. Franxx, you were able to remove the memory blockers of Kuro, Yuri, Haru, and Kasumi. They had difficulties adjusting after the ordeal they went through and were devastated after they learned that they attempted to kill you, Ryoken, and Misaki while APE had them under their control. In time, the scars they bore could heal and they would grow to get along fine with the rest of Squad 13.

The only remaining APE facilities were the Garden and the Bird's Nest. Both of which surrendered after the council died. The Parasite production was shut down as you focused on trying to sustain yourselves with energy methods other than magma energy. As it turns out, the parasites that were supposedly discarded from the Garden were taken in by Dr. Franxx and put into cryostasis, so you had no shortage of help to accomplish all the tasks you needed to do.

Dr. Franxx passed away a few years later. He had never taken the immortality serum and his cybernetic implants and mechanic parts could only keep him alive for so long. He was a man with many regrets, some of which he'd like to take back, but such things are outside of anyone's reach. During his final days, he apologized to Zero Two for how he treated her as a child but she revealed she didn't hate him. In fact, she was thankful to him for creating her. He died with the hint of a smile on his face, entrusting the future of mankind to you.

Hachi, Nana, and Umbra were the only immortals that remained and they took a supportive role, giving you guidance when it was needed. Dr. Franxx had given Umbra a vast amount of knowledge that came in handy to understand many things, reproduction being one of them.

Over time, you slowly rebuilt civilization and the damaged ecosystem of the planet began to recover...

XXXXXX

5 Years Later

"Darling," Zero Two says, "It's your turn to read her a bedtime story." "I know," you smile as you kiss her on the cheek and get up from the living room. "I'll get ready for bed," she adds with a seductive wink and a smile, "Don't take too long."

Walking up the stairs and going through the hallway, you come across the photos on the wall. You stop for a moment to reminisce about the past. Most of these pictures were taken by you and Zero Two during your honeymoon. As you promised many years ago, you traveled the world with her and saw the same things the Princess in the picture book saw.

You finish this trip down memory lane by glancing at the picture in the center: A group photo of Squad 13, Squad 42, and the Nines together with Hachi, Nana, Dr. Franxx, and Umbra Prime.