Chapter 21: Sparks of Rebellion

Author's Notes:

Happy New Year everyone! As always, I appreciate every bit of feedback you can give me. Now onto the chapter, enjoy.

XXXXXX

Silence.

It is so silent that you could hear the drop of a needle on the ground. Ryoken and Misaki took turns telling the story of Squad 42 up to the point where the three of you came to Plantation 13. No one spoke until after the pair had finished. Each member of Squad 13 processes this newly revealed information in their own way.

Ichigo has her head lowered and seems to be coping rather easily with it compared to the rest. Ikuno and Mitsuru are able to maintain their calm and composed persona, though they are deep in thought like most of the people in the room. Futoshi and Zorome are still looking at the datapad and scratching their heads as they read over it again.

You are shocked by the tale but still all you can think about is the loyalty Ryoken and Misaki have shown to you. They went through a near-death experience and accepted the doctor's offer, defying APE... and all of that... for my sake...

Walking up to them you break the silence and speak, managing only a whisper, "Ryoken... Misaki... I... I don't know what to say." "I understand if you're angry with us for not telling you earlier," Ryoken mutters, "But-" "That's not it!" you cut him off mid-sentence, "If anything, it's my fault. I should have disobeyed APE's orders back then and gotten us out of there, but I didn't. Squad 42's safety was my responsibility and I failed."

"However," you continue as you put a hand on his shoulder, "Despite that, you went out of your way to meet me again and make me remember. Thank you." You glance over to Misaki, "Both of you. I wasn't sure before, but now I know what I have to do."

"What do you mean?" Goro inquires. "I am done serving APE," you state loud enough for everyone to hear, "It's only a matter of time until something like Operation Gjallarhorn happens again and I don't intend to just be sacrificed... or to lead others to the same fate."

Everyone is speechless at your statement. You just openly defied APE, the hierarchy every parasite has been trained to obey and die for.

"What are you going to do?" Hiro asks. "I haven't put much thought into that if I'm being honest," you reply, looking in the general direction of the Gran Crevasse, "But we'll be called to action soon enough and I'm not planning to stick around for that." You give Zero Two a fleeting glance that no one, except her, notices, "Maybe I'll run away from here and live the rest of my life in peace. I don't know if you guys feel the same. Either way, staying here is not an option with the way things are now."

"B-But that's treason, isn't it? I thought the adults need us," Futoshi stammers, "Right, Zorome?" Futoshi doesn't get the support from Zorome, who has shown fierce loyalty in the past for Papa, and is met with silence. "Zorome? What's wrong?" Miku asks worriedly.

"I think Zorome thinks the same way about APE as (Y/N) does," Misaki states. "How?" Naomi questions. "Ever since Zorome got lost in the Plantation's city back then he wasn't the same," Ikuno states matter of factly.

"Deep down, you already know the truth, don't you, Zorome?" you ask, but it is more a statement than a question, "We once snuck into the city back in the day and found out how the adults live there. Do you want to tell us what you saw?"

Everyone looks expectantly at Zorome before he begins to speak, "I was trying to find an adult. When I finally saw one, I fell down a pipe after I tried to chase after them. Next thing I know is that I woke up in the apartment of an adult who took me in. The old woman was really nice to me and even offered me some food. Then I asked her some questions..."