Chapter 30: The Final Battle

A gentle gust of wind brushes against your face, slowly awakening you from your slumber. Above the sky of Mistilteinn appears as you slowly open your eyes and hear birds chirping not too far away.

How did I get here? Is your first thought as you start to recall last night's events.

You notice right away that your movement is restricted as there is a weight on top of you. You quickly realize that it's Zero Two, naked, your uniforms serving as the blankets of your makeshift bed. As your gaze wanders, you realize that you're not wearing anything either.

Just then, a small beeping noise comes from the pocket of your jacket lying beside you. Carefully reaching for it, you pull out your communicator while doing your best not to wake up Zero Two. A single message is displayed on the screen.

Meeting in 15 minutes.

Right, today is the day where we take back our future... or die trying. The stakes have never been higher. This is basically an all or nothing bet.

Zero Two begins to stir and lets out a yawn as she rubs the sleep from her eyes. "Good morning, Zero Two," you smile, "Did you sleep well?" "Mhm," she responds as she playfully draws circles on your chest with her finger, "Because you were here with me, Darling."

"I want every morning to be like this after today," she adds. "Me too," you reply.

A few more minutes pass as you enjoyed your time in each other's company before you get ready for the briefing with Umbra to go through your plan...

XXXXXX

Once the briefing has concluded, you walk to the front and stand next to Umbra.

"Remember," Umbra warns, "Once the broadcast starts, you'll only have a couple of minutes until APE throws me out of their network. Good luck."

You nod solemnly. This was a longshot, but you had the idea to broadcast a speech to all the Parasites at Plantation 1 guarding Valhalla. The best-case scenario would be that some of them would turn on APE and join your side. Worst case, they would remain puppets of APE until the very end. Either way, you have nothing to lose by trying.

"Do it," you say and Umbra taps the console next to him.

XXXXXX

Meanwhile

"Hey, Alpha," Gamma calls. "What is it?" Alpha asks as he snaps out of his train of thought. "Look at this," Gamma replies as he points to their holographic table, "Isn't he one of Squad 13?"

Alpha perks up at this unexpected sight, "Code 023. No... (Y/N), was it?"

xxx

"Sir, there is an anomaly in the network!" one of the analysts in the command center reports.

"Clarify!" Hachi orders. "It's a broadcast... from Plantation 13?!" the analyst elaborates, "We're trying to shut it down as fast as we can."

Hachi glances over to Nana who is next to him. Their eyes meet for a brief moment and they subtly nod to each other. After Nana excuses herself.

xxx

The Spectres, in their own private quarters at Plantation 1, notice that there is something happening on the monitors and one by one turn their attention towards them.

XXXXXX

"This is Code 023, (Y/N), of Squad 13. I'm sure you've heard about how our squad rebelled against APE by now. They probably call us traitors or worse. But that's not important right now. You are probably wondering why I am talking to all of you right now. It will only take a few minutes but I assure you that it'll be worth your while to listen."