Chapter 4: The Second Ride

APE Central HQ Council – Lamarck Club

"Klaxosaur activity has increased lately, and large ones are reportedly showing up everywhere, which is unprecedented," Papa says as the screen behind him shows footage of the mentioned Klaxosaurs. 

"The Nines are dealing with them for now, but they still have other tasks to complete," Lemur replies. "How long will we let Strelizia goof off?" Gorilla asks, "Since our investigation isn't yielding any results, we have no reason to leave her there any longer." "Indeed. It isn't wise to let her mix with tainted stamens anymore," Marmoset remarks. "If we're recalling her, we'll have to ready a new stamen," Baboon adds. 

"Not a problem," the Vice Chairman speaks up, "There are plenty of parasites at our disposal."

XXXXXX

Plantation 13 – Infirmary at the boarding house

"A demon... She's a demon. You'd have to be insane to ride with her. She'll kill you," Mitsuru whimpers as Futoshi puts a tablet with food next to his bed. You, Hiro, Zorome, Ichigo, Kokoro, and Misaki are waiting outside the room. 

"How was he?" Ichigo asks Futoshi as he exits the room. "He hasn't touched his food at all," he answers. "He's been like that ever since we got back," Zorome comments. "How's Ryoken doing?" Kokoro asks you and Hiro. "He's still asleep in his room, I don't blame him though. He looked really exhausted yesterday. It wasn't long after he disembarked from Valkyrie that he passed out," Hiro answers. "I'll bring him his food then once he wakes up," Misaki says.

You walk into the infirmary without saying a word, then stop in front of Mitsuru's bed. He is huddled up, trembling and muttering incoherent words. Despite the fact that he is a complete jerk, you can't help but feel sorry for him in this miserable state he is in.

"Mitsuru..." you begin, "What happened with Zero Two?" "What... happened? That girl tried to devour everything I have. My blood, my flesh, and my soul... All of it! Everything was normal at first, but after a point, sh-she was out to kill me..." he explains, his voice trembling. 

"Mitsuru-" you try to say something but he suddenly jumps at you and holds you by your collar, "What's worse, she had a smile on her face! She was smiling the entire time!" His facial expression has 'terror' written all over it. He then lets you go before saying, "Ride with her again, and it'll happen to you. You'll end up like me, too. You're out of your mind if you think you're the sole exception!" 

"Hey, cut it out, Mitsuru!" Futoshi exclaims as he puts him down on his bed, "Look, just lie down. Get some rest." "You okay?" Ichigo asks you. "Yeah," you reply.

Shortly after, you get out and take a seat in the courtyard to think about your next step. Futoshi and Zorome are playing with a football in the background.

This is bad. Mitsuru looked pretty broken in there. Everyone else here must probably be terrified of Zero Two now after this. On the other hand, though, I rode with her once before, and I am fine. Am I just an exception or was Mitsuru just unfortunate? Suddenly, the words that Zero Two said the day you met came to your mind. "I'm always alone, thanks to these horns." No, they just need to see Zero Two as I do. I will ride with her again and prove to them that she isn't a monster or partner killer.

"Do you still want to ride with her?" a voice pulls you out of your thoughts. You turn your head to see Misaki sitting next to you. "Especially after seeing what happened to Mitsuru..." she adds, "And if the rumor is true, you'll die if you ride two more times with her." 

"I'm aware of that, but I am still intending to ride with her," you reply. "You've made up your mind, huh? Fine. We won't stop you again, then," she states as she gets up and walks away.