Chapter 17: Revelations - Part 1

Over the past week, Zero Two has been working with the rest of Squad 13 on their daily chores now that Plantation 13 is short on power. At first, she was apprehensive to work with others while you're not nearby but, after much encouragement, she got past the first day and her fear that the other members of Squad 13 wouldn't want to work with her.

Without your invisible caretakers to micromanage your lives, the chores you perform on a daily or weekly basis now include things such as bringing the supplies from the elevator to the boarding house, rationing said supplies for the week, doing the laundry, and clean the house. Thanks to Ichigo's management skills, you're able to get through it without any major issues.

Life in Mistilteinn has also become more difficult. There is only a very limited amount of electricity and water provided for the boarding house. As a result, you're using candles as the source for light in the evening and the nearby lakes to take baths. Cooking your own food with the given supplies through the elevator also proved to be a challenge. Luckily, there were some books about it in the library making it easier for the lot of you.

Today, you're on cleaning duty with Ryoken and Goro. The task is about as exciting as it sounds but the three of you make an effort to finish it a little earlier nonetheless.

"Well, at least that's over with," you remark as you and the others put away the cleaning tools, "Until next week that is..." "What? Don't tell me you're tired already," Ryoken jokes. "You're more than welcome to do Goro's and my part of the cleaning next time if you're having so much fun with it," you reply sarcastically as you nudge Goro with your elbow who nods. "Eh, I'd rather not," he responds.

"Dinner should be ready soon," Goro states, "Let's head downstairs." "Agreed," you add.

XXXXXX

Following dinner, which consisted mostly of canned food, everyone prepares for bed. You, however, sneak over to Zero Two's room after donning your nightwear just like the previous days. Thankfully, your roommates don't question you spending your nights with Zero Two nor are they making a big deal out of it. In fact, they're even covering for you which makes it much easier.

You arrive at her room and knock on the door. "Come in, Darling," you can hear her voice from inside the room. "How did you know it was me?" you ask as you enter the room. You can see her sitting on the ground in the center of the room with several sheets of paper and colored pencils around her.

"Call it a hunch," she replies playfully, flashing a smile as you walk over and sit down beside her. You also notice that she's wearing a flower headband above her other headband.

"What's that?" you question while inspecting said headband. "Oh, Miku made it for me," she answers. "Wow," you remark. "Don't stare," she pouts, turning her head to the side. "It looks great!" you add. "On second thought," she replies, turning back to you with a smile, "You may stare."

You chuckle before glancing at the sheets of paper around you. Only a few of them have drawings on them but you immediately recognize them.

"Wait," you gasp, "Isn't this the..." "Mhmm, it's the picture book we read together," she replies.

They are exact copies of the pages from the picture book the two of you read together all those years ago.

The Beast and the Prince.

"You remember it all? That's amazing!" you remark as your gaze wanders over the few pages she drew.

"But this story is kind of sad, isn't it?" you ask melancholically. "You think?" she asks innocently. "Huh?" you mutter. "It was my first 'pretty thing'," she explains, "I met you and wanted to have something beautiful with you, Darling. You showed me the outside world, after all."