Chapter 28: A Blast from the Past

Northern Regions

The Klaxosaur Princess silently walkins down the empty black and blue hallways of what is now her fortress and... the Klaxosaur's last bastion. She has worked nonstop ever since her return from Plantation 86. So, now she is taking a much-needed break. What she saw in Lemur's mind was worrisome, to say the least.

She isn't walking aimlessly though; she has a clear destination in mind. However, she isn't using her tendrils or her cobra to reach her target faster for that matter. She just wants to reminisce a bit over days long gone as she continues onward. Many centuries ago, her people could be found all over this place. Now, she is the sole remaining member of the original species, the rest are either long dead or a remnant of what was their greatest achievement and, at the same time, their greatest failure.

Eventually, she reaches a set of double doors that open automatically as she approaches. Beyond is a circular room with a single walkway leading from the door to the center. The room itself is so deep that if you were to let a rock fall down, you'd be waiting for some time until it would reach the ground.

There is only one occupant in this room, a single Klaxosaur in hibernation with its head on an equal level with the walkway. The Klaxosaur itself is humanoid with massive triangular wings on its back and possesses large shoulder pauldrons with spikes protruding out of them. The core, that is located on its forehead beneath a tri-spiked crest, has a crack in it.

The Klaxosaur Princess proceeds to the sleeping giant's head at the end of the walkway. She takes a good look at it before taking a deep breath. She has doubts about doing this, but she is well aware that she is out of options.

The horn on her forehead begins to glow as she closes her eyes.

Kidemonas, please wake up.

There is a slight reaction within the Klaxosaur's core as his red eyes slowly open. He gazes at the tiny figure before his eyes that is not even bigger than the tip of his finger.

My queen... he responds in his mind, knowing that she can read his thoughts. She looks up to him with an emotionless expression, though it is only a facade to hide the turmoil inside her.

Technically I am still a princess. The ceremony for the title was never held, she replies, but you already know that...

I'm sorry, I can't help it. As the leader of our people, I see you as my queen.

Or what is left of them... I have utterly failed as a leader, she answers, lowering her head in shame. The humans have a new weapon with which they wiped out everyone at the Gran Crevasse in a single strike. I got hold of one of their leaders and peered into his mind to learn of their plans. They are preparing for their final strike in this war that has dragged on for centuries while we are driven to the brink of extinction.

Then I shall rise up once more for the sake of our species.

The princess now looks up to the core of the Klaxosaur, specifically at the crack in it.

But you'll die... she states sadly. The wound to your core was inflicted by our sacred sword. You were able to regenerate the damage you took nearly two decades ago but that scar will remain forever.

Excuse my rudeness, but I would rather die in battle, fighting for our people, than sitting idly by.

I anticipated you would say that. After all, you were there long before I was even born, being the protector and guardian of the royal family. Sometimes I think we would have been better off if you would have led us instead of me since you are far more experienced in war...