Chapter 10: A distant echo

APE Central HQ Council – Lamarck Club

"My, how intriguing," Baboon comments as he and the rest look at a live transmission of your current mission against a Gutenberg-class Klaxosaur. "It's so strange," Gorilla begins, "Regardless of how they do it, they're linking up in ways other squads cannot. There was only one precedent of that in the past."

"Does this mean the imbalances caused by individualized Franxx can give a unique asset to the squad as a whole?" Lemur inquires. "But that's also a double-edged sword. The future we at APE exalt is one of calmness and uniformity," Marmoset answers. "So, you say they are imperfect? How ironic," Baboon remarks.

"I'm thinking it's high time we move them on to the next stage," Papa states.

"To that area, you mean?" Lemur asks. "We've detected Klaxosaur activity in the depths of the Gran Crevasse area recently. It is Squad 13's duty to bring Code 002 there safe and sound," the Vice Chairman states. "The plan is already in motion. We must have them undergo maintenance in the lab at once," Baboon demands.

"Before that," Tarsier interjects, "Why don't we award them something?" "You mean... reward the children?" Gorilla asks. "Awards have been the most common way to inspire soldiers since ancient times. It may prove more effective with them, as their way of life reflects a bygone era," Tarsier elaborates.

"Ah, that's an interesting idea. I shall allow it," Papa responds.

"On another note," the Vice Chairman speaks up, "Due to the success of Project Lazarus, I have authorized the use of additional resources for the Spectres Taskforce." "If any of these subjects even reach a fraction of their template's potential..." Baboon ponders. "They would become a valuable tool towards our end goal," Papa concludes.

XXXXXX

Plantation 13 – Docking bay

Squad 13 just came back from their last mission. You were fighting another Gutenberg-class Klaxosaur and the mission went overall pretty well, except near the end when Argentea pierced the Klaxosaur's core and Zorome didn't back off in time. This resulted in Argentea being covered in blue liquid which made her a bit angry, to say the least.

Just as you disembark from Strelizia, you can hear Zorome and Miku bickering already.

"Can we drop this already? I apologized, didn't I?" Zorome complains. "Oh, did you now? You think that was an apology? Your heart wasn't in it at all!" Miku yells. "Oh? And how can you be so sure it wasn't? Can you read my mind? Can you?" Zorome retorts.

You then notice that Zero Two is still inside Strelizia's cockpit, sitting on the pistil platform and contemplating about something.

"Zero Two, what's wrong?" you ask her. "Just thinking about something," she replies. A few moments later, she silently gets up and exits the cockpit.

"Apologize right now!" Miku yells. "Over my dead body!" Zorome replies. "Grr! I'm gonna kill you if it's the last thing I do!" she responds. "Ha! I'd love to see you try!" Zorome taunts, the rest of the squad still watching them.

"Kids, we need to talk. I bring good news," Nana shouts up to the platform, getting everyone's attention and ending the fight between Miku and Zorome.

Once everyone gathers around her, she speaks up, "Tomorrow, all of you are to dress in your formal attire and gather in front of the boarding house at 0900 hours. Got that?" "What's happening?" Ichigo asks. "Papa values what you've achieved in battle so far very highly," Nana explains, "As such, though there is very little precedent, all of you are going to be awarded medals."

"M-Medals?" Futoshi says astonished. "What are those?" Zorome asks nonchalantly.

"The ceremony will be held tomorrow, in the Plantation Parliament HQ," Nana adds. "Wait, does that mean..." Goro begins. "We did it, Zorome! Aren't you glad?" Futoshi asks him. Zorome, completely oblivious to what this all means just says, "Huh? What are you talking about?" "You idiot! This means we'll be allowed into the city!" Miku tells him.