Chapter 16: One day of peace

Following the battle of the Gran Crevasse, Squad 13 returns tired and exhausted that evening to Mistilteinn. The way back is pretty silent as nearly everyone just wants to slump into their beds after this tiresome battle. Upon arriving in the atrium of the boarding house, the boys and girls tell each other their good nights before heading to their separate wings.

You, however, walk with Zero Two to her room and grab some fresh bed sheets on the way since her room was emptied after her departure. Her mood seems to be improving already as you can hear her humming happily to herself while holding your hand.

The two of you enter the dreary room and it's still like you left it yesterday before the briefing. Claw marks are still all over the walls with the occasional bloodstain but it's nothing that can't be fixed later.

Luckily, there are still a few sets of spare clothes in the dresser until the rest of Zero Two's belongings will be delivered tomorrow. You proceed towards the mattress and begin to put the sheets you brought with you on the bed while Zero Two goes through the drawers.

"So, what do you want to do tomorrow?" you ask as you move on to the pillow, your back still turned towards her. "I don't care as long as it's with you!" Zero Two chirps happily.

Maybe we could do something with the rest of the others? It could definitely help to get her to bond with the rest of the squad.

You finish preparing the bed and your gaze wanders over the wall again. "We could fix the walls tomorrow and make your room a little cozier," you say casually as you turn around. "What do yo-" you abruptly stop when you catch her in the middle of undressing. Zero Two stands nearby in her underwear in the process of unfolding her nightgown.

You stand completely frozen for a moment and can't help but stare until Zero Two breaks your trance. "Darling's a pervert!" she teases you with a smile looking completely unphased by you seeing her in such a state.

"S-Sorry," you reply as you proceed to turn around again to give her some privacy while you can practically feel your cheeks becoming redder by the second. However, you also caught a glimpse of a small red shimmering object at her neck. The ruby necklace you gifted her.

"I-I'm glad you kept the necklace," you remark meekly to change the subject. "Of course," she responds, "It's my second pretty thing! And you gave it to me Darling, so why would I ever let it go?" "It's just... after what I said the other day, you'd have every reason to..." you reply, putting a hand behind your head, "But that's in the past now."

"Anyway, you must be pretty tired," you add before turning towards the door, "Get some rest, Zero Two." Before you can reach the door however you can feel her tugging at your sleeve. You turn around and see that she is looking you in the eyes expectantly. The two of you just stand there in silence as you gaze into each other's eyes.

I could get lost in those beautiful teal blue eyes of hers...

"Darling..." Zero Two says longingly, breaking the silence, "Could you... stay here?"

How can I say no to that?

"Of course," you reply, "I don't-"

Before you can finish your sentence, you're yanked onto the bed with her lying next to you. She wraps her arms around you whispers, "This is much more comfortable, don't you think, Darling?"

"I can't say I dislike that," you whisper back to which she pulls herself closer to you before the two of you fall asleep.

XXXXXX

The next morning

You awaken to the soft breath of Zero Two tickling your neck. As you slowly open your eyes and turn your head to the left, you can see the face of said sleeping angel next to you. You slowly move your hand over to move the few strands of pink hair in her face behind her ear and she slowly opens her eyes as a result.