Chapter 24: An unexpected turn

APE Central HQ Council – Lamarck Club

"This is a complete disaster!" Gorilla bellows, "How could this happen? How could our entire network just go down like this?" "Now, now, let's not lose our temper, my friend," Lemur interjects to calm him down.

"This was no mere coincidence," Baboon speaks up, "Moments before Squad 13's deployment our network suddenly goes down. Hours later, the very same squad is nowhere to be found leaving us no choice but to retreat from the Crevasse for now."

"We were so close!" Marmoset scoffs. "Have our satellites found them yet?" the Vice Chairman asks. "No," Tarsier replies while looking at several screens with footage and data around him, "It's strange, as if Squad 13 has completely vanished. The area surrounding the Gran Crevasse is mostly open terrain with scattered mountains and a few ruined cities but there isn't anything we can't see from orbit."

"It should be obvious by now that this was their doing," Baboon states matter of factly, "Or at least they had some part in it. I cannot fathom how any of them could have possibly been able to accomplish something like this." "Werner is responsible for this test team," Marmoset remarks, "We should bring him in for questioning."

"I'd go as far as to say that he is behind all of this," Baboon comments. "But what would he stand to gain by this? Surely, he isn't in league with the Klaxosaurs and their princess," Lemur adds, "That is just ridiculous." "I think he got a little too close to the enemy," Baboon argues.

"Enough!" Papa speaks up, silencing the council, "Werner will be brought to Kosmos station and shall remain here until the situation is resolved and our investigation is complete."

"What about Plantation 13?" the Vice Chairman inquires, "Its repairs have been completed, yet it has no value to us without a parasite squad."

"It no longer holds any value to us. Withdraw all magma reserves and reassign its staff where they are needed," Papa replies.

"And what do we do with the vault? It can't be opened without Code 002, we already tried with brute force," Gorilla asks.

Instead of answering, Papa turns his head towards Baboon and inquires, "What is the status of Hringhorni?" "Construction has just completed, Papa," Baboon replies humbly, "All we need to do is launch it into the orbit and dock it with the frame."

"Then make that APE's utmost priority for the time being," Papa concludes, "It is high time for a demonstration of its power. In the meantime, withdraw the remaining Plantations from the Gran Crevasse and have them scout the region for Squad 13. They cannot hide forever."

"Yes, Papa," the council replies in unison.

XXXXXX

Two days have passed since your escape from Plantation 13 and APE's grasp. Suffice to say that it is quite the experience. In that time you've managed to properly set up your makeshift home in the city's central plaza and its surrounding buildings.

Most of the squad spends the first days exploring their city while Ryoken and Misaki, possessing the largest knowledge of the old world, explain various things and aspects to them. Ichigo, as the squad leader, can't stop telling them to be careful. Of course, Goro helps her in every way he can so that she won't overwork herself between looking after everyone and keeping everything in order.

Another thing that hasn't gone unnoticed by you is that some of the pistil stamen pairs in your squad seem to be growing closer to each other, namely Mitsuru and Kokoro. Perhaps they've been observing you and Zero Two. Simillary, the two of you have been spending a lot of time together away from the rest of the squad, exploring the city during the day and gazing at the stars each night until you'd fall asleep in each other's embrace. You're certain that this is the happiest you've ever seen her.