Chapter 15: Reunion

Plantation 13 – Infirmary in the boarding house

"Ugh," Ryoken mumbles as he begins to stir in his bed. "Ryoken!" Misaki exclaims as she immediately springs from her seat and rushes to his side.

"You're a sight for sore eyes," Ryoken mutters as he hoists himself up, "How long was I out?" "About twelve hours," Misaki answers before scolding him, "What were you thinking? Trying to take her on by yourself? You could have gotten killed!"

Ryoken notices the hint of grief and sadness in her voice. After all, she was right. They had already lost almost everyone else of their first Squad, Misaki couldn't bear to lose him too.

"I'm sorry," he replies as he pulls Misaki in a hug, who is trying to hold back tears, "I'm sorry..."

After a few minutes, Misaki calms down and Ryoken releases her.

"What happened with (Y/N) and Zero Two?" Ryoken inquires. "(Y/N) lashed out at her shortly after you were knocked unconscious. She left after that," Misaki elaborates, "I also heard a transport plane take off and fly over the birdcage maybe 10 minutes ago, so she's probably gone for good now."

"And (Y/N)?" he questions. "He ran after her, not sure if he made it though," she replies. "Of course, he did," he responds, "Still, I can't help but think that part is our fault." Misaki gives him a confused look.

"Think about it," he begins, "Locking (Y/N) up somewhere, telling him not to do something that he wanted to do. When has that ever worked out? I should have seen it coming. I mean, he climbed out of his room by a bed sheet for god's sake, this all could've been avoided..."

Footsteps echo through the hall signaling someone is coming closer. Then, Hiro comes into view as he enters the room and closes the door behind him.

"How are you feeling, Ryoken?" Hiro says as he approaches them. "I'm feeling better already," he replies nonchalantly, "Where were you? Were you training the whole day?"

Hiro doesn't answer the question and his face takes on a more serious expression, "Remember our argument the other day?" "Yeah, what about it?" Ryoken answers confused by this seemingly unrelated question.

"I guess you could say that I called in a favor," Hiro replies. "A favor? From whom?" Misaki inquires. "Dr. Franxx," Hiro replies. Ryoken and Misaki glance at each other for a moment before returning their gaze to Hiro.

"I shouldn't really be talking about this without (Y/N)'s consent," Hiro says with a hint of guilt, "But I can't find him right now and he isn't responding on his communicator either, and I think that the two of you will maybe understand how he feels with what I'm about to tell you."

XXXXXX

You arrive disheartened at the boarding house after slowly walking back from the hangar. Your communicator beeped several times on the way back but you dismissed it since you were too busy scolding yourself mentally for what you said to Zero Two yesterday.

I saw her memories when our minds connected in Strelizia. She was alone for her entire life, she had no one.

You ascend the staircase of the atrium to the second floor.

Everyone viewed her as a monster and used her like a tool. APE, the Nines... and even Dr. Franxx experimented on her for years.

You walk up to Zero Two's room and enter it.

I don't even know why I came here, you think to yourself as you run with your hand along the claw marks on the walls.

Maybe in the hopes that she left something here? Or perhaps to further remind me of my failure...