Chapter 6: Ethereal Wings

Plantation 13 – Command Center

"Status report," Hachi says in a stern voice. "Current distance to Klaxosaur group: Approximately 4000," one of the analysts replies. "Bulwark in the last line of defense now 85% complete. ETA is still 0210 hours. Estimated to be complete by 2200 hours," the next one adds. "Squad 26 and 13 are to stand by for combat by 2030 hours," a third person reports.

"They're moving in a pack," Hachi says as he looks at the footage of the coming Klaxosaur horde. One thing in particular stands out to him, the massive horned cube that seems to be moving with them. "That huge thing is likely a Klaxosaur, too," he mumbles under his breath, "But it's unlike any I've seen before."

XXXXXX

When you, Ryoken, Hiro and Goro arrive at the boys' locker room, the other boys are already there. It's rather silent as everyone changes into their parasite uniforms until Ryoken speaks up, "Listen, I know you are all a little anxious or nervous about this fight, but as long as we work together, we can all get through this!" "This'll be unlike any of our previous fights," Mitsuru comments. "Well, we can't just let Squad 26 handle everything!" Zorome interjects. "That's the spirit," Ryoken replies.

Hiro, who is next to you whispers, "Are you really going through with this?" You nod in response.

Good thing the chest piece of my parasite uniform covers the blue growth on my chest, you think to yourself as you finished dressing.

The seven of you exit the locker room and walk down the hallway.

"We can't afford to be too optimistic, given the difference in numbers," Mitsuru states. "Hey, don't go wimping out on us now. We've got me, Zorome the Great, on your side," Zorome remarks in a smug tone. "All that aside, we can count on Strelizia this time," Futoshi adds. "Anyway, we're not letting Squad 26 hog the glory," Zorome says. "That's not who you should be fighting," Mitsuru dryly comments.

"Hey, (Y/N)," Ryoken says as he puts a hand on your shoulder, "How are you feeling?" "Never better," you answer, "I'm ready to do my part." "That's good to hear, though let's hope we don't have to actually use Strelizia," he remarks. "We're going to be alright, one way or another," you respond as you nudge him with your elbow to which he chuckles.

Ichigo, Ikuno, and Kokoro come out of their locker room just as your group walks by. "I can tell by the look on your face that you're pretty nervous, Ichigo," Ryoken says with a smile, "Don't worry, you're up to the task as a squad leader and besides, I'll back you up if need be." "Thanks, Ryoken," Ichigo replies.

You then notice Zero Two coming out of the locker room and go after her to the docking bay.

You arrive at Strelizia's faceplate shortly after. Everyone else is boarding their respective Franxx as well. Zero Two notices you as you approach, turns towards you with a smile and says, "It's time, Darling." "Yeah, let's do this," you answer.

"Opening Force Gates. Lift carrier, proceed slowly at zero point five. Numbers One through Six are to deploy in gamma formation," you hear a female voice over the speakers announce, "All Franxx good to go. Target Beta's alt mode yet unconfirmed. Amending enemy's approach route. Estimated point of contact unchanged. Safety systems all green."

Strelizia takes her position on the bulwark while Squad 26 move into position as the first line of defense with Squad 13 acting as the rearguard.

"We have updated intel on the Klaxosaurs," Hachi says over the comms, "Aside from the Conrad-class pack, we've also detected a large-tightly packed unit. It didn't match any of the ones we have on record, but we've deemed it a Klaxosaur due to its independent movement and codenamed it Target Beta."