Chapter 11: Partner Shuffle

In the following days, Squad 13 has been assigned to protect an S-Planning excavation site. This meant that you would stand guard around the site for several hours a day to intercept any Klaxosaurs that want to attack and disrupt the project.

"Argentea, on your left!" Valkyrie exclaims as a Conrad-class Klaxosaur tries to sneak past her. "I got it!" Zorome shouts as Argentea sinks her claws into the beast, "Where do you think you're going?" The Klaxosaur explodes into blue liquid moments later.

"That was the last of them," you state, "Good work, team." "Let's head back to base for debriefing," Delphinium adds.

A while later, you return to Plantation 13 and head to the briefing room where Nana and Hachi are already waiting for you.

"We killed 25 in total today," Ichigo speaks up, "The enemies were all the same type of Conrad-class Klaxosaurs, just like on the other days." "Thank you for the report," Nana replies, "Due to your efforts, the S-Planning in this area is proceeding smoothly." "That said, you need to improve your kill count, Codes 326 and 196. Your parasite score is dropping, too," Hachi adds.

"I just wasn't feeling well today," Mitsuru answers nonchalantly. "That isn't enough to explain this," Hachi responds, "Anyway, keep it up and defend the work area from tomorrow onward. That'll be all. You're dismissed."

After Squad 13 left the room, Nana and Hachi turn to the screens behind them and look at a graph that displays Squad 13's kill count in comparison to other squads as well as the kill count of each individual Franxx.

Strelizia is in the lead with 123, followed by Valkyrie with 99 and Delphinium with 85. Next up are Gladiolus, Argentea, and Genista with 84, 77 and 71. Chlorophytum, however, is last with 51.

"Another twenty-five..." Hachi thinks aloud, "That brings their kill count in this area to 90." "Their kills over the past fortnight are 3.7 times greater than in their first. It'd be unthinkable for any other team to achieve such rapid growth. If their simultaneous puberty and competitive spirit, the thing you called 'problems', are drawing out the full potential of these children..." Nana elaborates.

"Impossible. That would be a total refutation of our prior methods," Hachi responds. "But what if it's exactly what Dr. Franxx is after?" Nana asks.

XXXXXX

APE Research Facility at an Undisclosed Location – Hangar Bay

The doors to the hangar open and an APE transport shuttle comes through and touches down. An APE scientist in a white lab coat and black mask along with 5 members of his staff walk up to the shuttle and stop before its entrance.

The doors of the shuttle open and two APE soldiers walk out and take position on either side of the entrance. Shortly after, Baboon walks out and stops in front of the scientist.

"We're honored by your presence, sir," the scientist says as he gestures towards the lab, Baboon now walking beside him. "Yes, let us skip the pleasantries, doctor. I am here to personally inspect the progress you made with the Spectres Project and I am on a tight schedule," Baboon remarks.

They get into an elevator that descends further into the facility, the window giving a view of the massive underground laboratory that is dimly lit by the glow of computer screens or incubator tanks.

"We have made astounding progress lately thanks to the additional resources and funding," the scientist elaborates as the elevator comes to a halt, "We are nearly through with the development stage."

The two of them enter a separate room with 10 incubator tanks, each holds a figure floating in an orange glowing liquid. Each of these individuals has a helmet with cables attached to it. The panels below the tanks show vital signs and other information such as their designation and brain activity.