Chapter 22: Unwanted Guests

APE Central HQ Council – Lamarck Club

"Moving on to the next matter of today's meeting," the Vice Chairman announces as the holographic projector in the center of the room displays a 3D model of the Gran Crevasse with several Plantations around it and its corresponding underground system, or what's known of it at least.

"We are so close to uncovering the secrets of the vault underneath the Gran Crevasse," Marmoset exclaims excitedly as she fixes her gaze at a massive structure that is highlighted in a bright red deep underground in contrast to the blue hologram. "Just one more week," Gorilla adds, "Then we can finally move to the next stage."

"It is truly a shame that the Spectres won't be available for that pivotal fight," Baboon states, "But we still have Code 002 and the Nines." "They will have to suffice," Gorilla concludes.

"Has there been any activity from the Klaxosaur Princess?" Papa inquires.

"Our surveillance hasn't picked up any activity from her stronghold in the north," Marmoset replies, "So far, the Klaxosaur forces seem to be mobilizing underground. It is likely they aim to take the Gran Crevasse back, though the Princess herself hasn't come out of hiding."

"Continue to monitor the situation and notify me at once if anything changes," Papa commands. "Yes, Papa," she humbly replies.

"That being said," Tarsier speaks up and looks at Lemur, "What is the progress on Hringhorni and Valhalla?" "Hringhorni's construction is in its final stages thanks to the efforts of the Nines in collecting Klaxosaur cores," Lemur elaborates, "It should be ready in about three to four weeks."

He then taps a few buttons on his armrest before the screens behind him show the construction site of a platform in earth's orbit near the Kosmos station where the council is currently at. "The firing platform is nearly finished as well," Lemur continues, "As for Valhalla, the only thing missing is the final piece that the vault will hopefully provide us with."

"In that case," the Vice Chairman remarks, "We should ready the selected Plantations so that they will be prepared for the transition after the battle concludes."

"It is decided then," Papa concludes, "Humanity is at the threshold of its ultimate ascension on the ladder of evolution. Let us see this plan that we have been working on for centuries finally come to fruition."

Every member of the APE council bowed their head in agreement after Papa finished.

XXXXXX

Plantation 13

You open your eyes as you slowly awaken from your slumber. The soft light peaking through the window informs you that it's morning. Tilting your head to the left, you can see Zero Two next to you still sleeping with her left arm resting on your chest. You take a few moments to admire the sleeping angel next to you. Everything about her just seems so perfect to you. Finally, you decide to get out of bed but carefully, so she can sleep a little bit more.

Carefully removing her left arm from your chest and putting it gently down, you slowly get up. However, just before you're able to fully stand up, two arms wrap around your waist and pull you back into the bed.

"Daaarling, where are you going?" Zero Two asks sleepily, her eyes still closed, as she snuggles up to you and wraps both her arms around you so that you won't go anywhere. You can't help but smile at how adorable she is.

"I didn't want to wake you up, my dear," you whisper apologetically as you caress her cheek, "But it looks like I failed." "I guess you'll have to make it up to me then," she says playfully.

"How about this?" you say as you lean in and give her a kiss on the lips. Her lips curl into a smile as you pull away, "Hmm, I think I need another one." "You're so spoiled," you remark jokingly before going in for another kiss, this one more passionate and longer than the previous one.