Chapter Sixteen: Lefe Contents

Fifteen days to the wedding 

"Mother, why didn't you tell me that the man I'm marrying, the man I'm going to be his wife in fifteen days isn't married?" She looks up from her MacBook and looks at me.

I hold a part of the gold sofa. She blinks over and over again. She puts her MacBook on the sofa gently. I glare at her bowed head. How could she do this to me, I thought he was married to someone else. Someone alive, that he wouldn't have time for me, that he wouldn't have to stress me.

Men can be really stupid, he can just wake up one morning and ask me to stop or sell my business.

"Would what that change, you are going to be his wife in ah-" She checks the date on her MacBook again. " Fifteen days. I don't see why you are so worked up unnecessarily, he isn't married, he's single, he's good looking. Masha Allah, he's rich and can help you grow. What else do you want?" I sigh and tears smart my eyes. I can't believe it, I'll be someone's full time wife, I wouldn't be the quiet second wife who doesn't demand for her husband's attention.

Oh Ya Allah.

I walk out of the house in a huff, in my rush to open the door to my car, I mistakenly hit a woman in red. She was at the door when I opened it.

I hold out a hand to her and she takes it. " I'm so sorry ma. I hope you don't feel pain anywhere?" I'm so ashamed of my anger. She nods frantically and waves me off. I watch her walk into the house. I'm sure she's one of mother's staff. Mother owns a shop where she sells frozen poultry.

I open my car door slowly and drive out of my father's house. They are bringing my lefe in four hours. None of my aunts have arrived and I'm using that opportunity to run away before they come. I also have a makeup appointment.

A few minutes later, I drive into Panama close in maitama and park at the twenty-sixth house. One of my students whose biggest plus is taking amazing pictures is my accompanying apprentice for the day. She steps out of a taxi five minutes after I park.

"Good morning ma" I smile at her, she has the typical southern Nigerian face, full lips, high forehead. Her lips widen into a smile that compliments her already beautiful features.

"Good morning Faith, I hope you didn't find it hard to get here?" She shakes her head and we both walk to gate. We are allowed in after a few minutes of interrogation, probably because it's a massive house and they all come with massive security.

The door is opened by a young man in butler uniform. Faith and I exchange looks. Butler? In this day and age? In Nigeria? 

"Madam is upstairs. If you'll please come with me." The butler walks us up a flight of humongous stairs in the massive house. We reach a door and he knocks quietly.

The door is opened by another woman in blue uniform. Faith and I exchange more looks. We walk into a spacious room decorated in silver and white. I wonder how they clean here. We take off our shoes, mine a pair of sandals and faith, a pair of sneakers.

"Madam is through here." We walk again towards a corner, there's a slim woman looking outside in a robe, sipping tea. I know because the scent of earl grey tea is in the air.

The woman in blue speaks again. "Ma'am, they are here."

I look up and my heart skips a beat. She's  Adeel's ex wife. At that precise moment, I know what it means for your blood to pound in your ears. My blood seems to freeze after a few seconds. My mind goes into overdrive at what she could do to us. We are in her house.

She could have us butchered up and acid poured on us like they say Jamal Khashoggi was murdered. Ya Allah, when can I say the shahaddah, should I begin now?