Chapter 63: Secret

"Congratulations Nabeela."

I hug Maama back and step away to look at her. She smiles brightly at me, making me shy.

"I'm just so thankful for the smart children Allah blessed me with." Zeenah mutters a playful Alhamdulilahi.

"So, what next now?" I swoon playfully.

"I'm tired, sleepy and hungry. So all I want to do now is jump into a bed and sleep." Maama nods.

"What about the event hall, who's cleaning it?" I point at a cleaning crew vehicle that is parked on the driveway.

"Once the event planning guys leave with their stuff, they'll follow up and get everywhere clean." She nods and Adeel walks closer.

"Beela. Turn around." I turn around and find three pairs of eyes shining at me. Then I scream.

"Congratulations sweetheart." Ya Ajike sings in her usual welcoming sing song voice. My face falls.

"I'm also sorry I neglected you all these past few months. I've been busy, but it's no excuse for my behaviour." I join my hands together in complete shame. I'd forgotten the very people who helped me pull through one of the hardest years if my life.

"Naaah, it's fine. But you owe me free makeup till you die." Ya Nusaiba says with her lips pinched together. I clap my hands.

"It it's that, I can deal. If it's makeup, I'll gladly do it." She smiles and opens her arms out to me. I rush in and feel us being hugged by others.

"We missed you too." I hear Khadijah say. I nod into Ya Nusaiba's hands. When they pull off me, Ya Ajike says my punishment is to set up a meeting between us all. I don't mind. Not at all.

"I'll text you all."

*****

"So, what were you slyly smiling about at the launch." I stare at him slip his pajama shirt over his head.

"I didn't smile slyly. I don't smile slyly." He raises one bushy eyebrow.

"Really? Is this how you want to do it?" I scoff lightly and punch the gossamer down pillow so i can get more comfortable.

" Well, saying I smiled slyly would be taking it far. Sly would suggest something bad." He raises his hands in surrender and drops the wet towel he was using to rub his hair into the laundry basket near the door.

"Okay, let me rephrase. What were you trying to communicate to me that I didn't see?" I smile and nod but he looks at me mockingly and his lower lip spread in complete mockery.

"What are you nodding? It's not sly is it?" I shake my head in silent laughter, before reaching over the bedside table to bring the white envelope I'd left there earlier.

"Here." I hand it to him. He takes it in astonishment.

"What's this?" It's my turn to mock him.

"Mr Hassan, open it." He sighs and tears it open. Then begins to read through the letter. It's a little long considering what it entails.

"Five percent of Aa'ila?" His breath comes out harshly. I roll my eyes. I'd expected this reaction.

"Beela, what made you make this decision? Baaba specifically wanted you to own it. It's all yours." I shake my head knowing I'll be making a lot of explanations.

" Yes, it's all mine, but to whom much is given, even much more is expected. He gave me, and now, I'm giving you a little out if it. Not because you don't have a hundred times over worth of it, but because I just wanted to do something. Something for you." He looks elsewhere, before dropping his shoulders in acceptance.