Finale One

"You blow my mind."

I arch one eyebrow at him. He probably wants something, and how he goes about getting what he wants is to sweet-talk me into doing it.

"ABH, what do you want?" His smile widens slowly. Very slowly, he knows that smile melts me.

"Ah Beela, I can't compliment you again?" I puff my cheeks and blow out air.

"I'm eight months pregnant, going in to be induced today and you're telling me i blow your mind? Haha." I laugh without humour.

He walks towards me, gently easing me on the bed before looking into my eyes. " You, my wife, my friend, the mother of our children, business woman extraordinaire, makeup artist of life, sweet sister, sweet everything, sweet all over."

While he spoke, my expression grew from surprised to bashful and blushing.

"You're going to be fine. And our babies. In Sha Allah. Okay?" He leans back to stop whispering in my ear and lays his lips on mine in a hard kiss.

"You look beautiful by the way." I smile at him and pull on his beard. He yelps softly. I pull harder and he escapes from my hands.

"Why so violent?" I scoff with a snort.

"It's so soft na. Why were you shouting?" He whirls around to look at me in astonishment.

"So, because it's soft, I should allow you to pull it like it's thread abi?" I laugh, a deep belly laugh that makes me flop on the bed.

"In other words, I should not touch my beards again?" I emphasize on the my. He palms his face in exasperation.

"It's yours. Beela, my beards are yours. Don't just pull them like they are threads you're trying to pull out of clothes. It hurts." He rubs his beard in mock pain.

I laugh loud at his antics and try to get up. My stomach gets in the way and he rushes to pull me up.

I take that opportunity to pull at his beard with force making him laugh out loud and groaning.

He lifts me up from the bed and sets me on my feet then he hands me my scarf from the bed.

"Let's go."

We walk out the door and go to the kitchen. Maama is instructing her chef assistant on caramelizing sugar in a pan. She looks up once we come in.

She walks to me and holds my hands.
"You'll be fine. In Sha Allah." I nod and she pulls me into her bosom.

*****

"So, Nabeela. Tell me what names have you both put in place for them?" I laugh at the nurse's face when I tell her we haven't chosen yet and that we're playing it by the ear. She whips her black weave-on clad hair to look at us in astonishment.

"Oga, you too?" Adeel nods sheepishly. She tsks again, this time with a smile on her face.

"You'll be fine. She'll be fine. It's only a forty minutes surgery." Adeel nods and steps aside for her to go out the door.

He siddles up to me immediately she leaves. "You okay there? Need anything?" I shake my head and pat the bed.

We didn't let Maama come so she could not worry so much. The nurse steps back in.

"You have a visitor. One Mrs Ajike." I smile immediately. Adeel asks her to allow her in.

"She can't visit for so long ma. I'll have to bring in the mobile ultrasound and radiation- resistant equipment." I nod stiffly and Adeel rubs my shoulder. It's becoming real.

"You'll be fine. I'll be praying for you. I promise." I lean my head against his body, my heart troubled and my body listless.

Ajike walks in a few minutes later, in a flurry of activity. She has a large navy blue veil on and a white abaya-like gown that sparkles and shines.

"Salam babban baby and Affy." We chorus our reply. She moves to my side and puts out her hands in a hug. I go in immediately. She pats my back slowly and carefully.

"Yan Aji. You'll be fine okay." I giggle at her Hausa.

Adeel excuses himself saying he wants to see the doctor. Immediately he leaves, Ya Ajike seats herself on the bed and uses her neck to point at the IV.

"It's at quarter now. The nurse said once it's at half I should call her." She nods and looks around. If it were a normal birth, I'd have had a heartbeat machine and a host of other equipment around me.

"I had Khayrat and Fawad here. So I can vouch for them. They are good." I sigh.

"I'm so worried. Especially with that procedure they'll have to do first. The untying of the ovaries abi tubes that they'll have to do." She nods and smiles at me.

"That's why you have to place it all in Allah S.W.T's hands. He's the master planner, the most direct of all. He only can guide their hands. The doctors and surgeon can only do their best. Allah's best is the best of all." I cup my hands and mutter an Alhamdulilahi.

"Just pray, pray before you shut your eyes, pray before you feel the anesthesia start to wear on you. In Sha Allah, we won't have cause to cry. Happiness is our portion." I say Ameen.

"So, what did you do about your mom? Are you going there?" I lean on the pillows further before answering.

"Yes. Adeel begged me to go. He said he'd be around at least twice a day." Although we both agreed I'd stay with Maama after leaving my own father's house. For at least a month.

"Can she adequately care for twins? Is she going to be ready?" I look at the drip passing into my veins intently.

"I don't care anymore. I just want a loving environment for my babies in their first weeks. If they can't provide that, I'm leaving. Wallahi." She bites her lips and frowns.

"We'll just have to watch. Okay?" I nod. Then we sit in a comfortable silence.

The nurse pushing in the ultrasound machine breaks the silence. She begins the processes of hooking the machine up.

"So, Mama. Get ready." I giggle. I'll be seeing my babies one last time before seeing them in person. So Ma Sha Allah.

The heartbeat machine starts to beat hard like a drum beat without any stop. It's nearly deafening until you get used to it.

"That's baby one." She points at the screen part. "And baby two. They are both hiding their sexes, so ultimately we'll meet them when the surgery is over." She smiles so beautifully at me that it prompts me to do the same.

"Do you have some of your own ma?" She laughs.

"Yes. Four of mine. All below the ages of twelve." Ya Ajike gasps, and we both goggle at each other.

"Wallah, you don't look it at all." She laughs again, wiping my stomach of the goo she'd put on it earlier.

"That's why I don't ever want you to be scared. God is in control. We'll do our best, and God will do the rest." She cocks her head and I nod happily. I feel so much better.

"So now, ma'am you'd have to go scrub up. The IV has gotten to half. I also need to get the anaesthesia nurse to apply anesthesia." Ya Ajike nods and follows her.

When the room is empty, I just lean back on my bed and mutter prayers under my breath. It's a big day for Adeel and I. And I pray it goes well.

*****

So, last night, half of this chapter left. Like vanished into thin air. But I found it this morning. After logging in and out of my Wattpad.

So, part two is coming later today. I will not disappoint.

Have a beautiful Eid. Enjoy the rest of your week.

I love you all so much.

TheOmoope.