Chapter 38: Telling All

ADEEL BABA HASSAN

I watch the automated gate open and Beela drive out of the house. She ran off to the bathroom earlier when I saw those scars. Leaving me in a mist if differed thoughts and emotions as to how she got those scars.

Then that bravado she came to use with me earlier, warning me to keep out of her room. Like I would. Like I haven't been bidding my time, like I haven't been giving her time to get used to the idea of us.

I watch the gate lock back before turning around and walking to my study in a light daze.

How in the world did she get such deeply etched scars that look like embroidery gone bad on her skin. And in such a weird area of her body.

A rap sounds on my door and when I shout a weak come in, Auntie Amina, our house keeper walks in with the tea I asked for before seeing Beela.

She sets it down and walks back. I pat myself awake and out of the light daze I've been in to think properly.

Should I ask?

I place my hand on my phone ready to call my inside person. I lock it again, Beela wouldn't want that. She wouldn't like that, and, I'd love to hear it from her.

I sit in my chair in thought when the adhaan for Magrib sounds, I pray in deep thought and thinking. While I prayed, I asked Allah to give me strength, to give her strength. She sure needs it.

A beep informs me that the automated gate opened, then the headlights from Beela's car lights up the driveway.

I get up and walk downstairs to catch her at the door. I sit in the kitchen, turn on the switch at the coffee maker and wait for her to come in.

"Salam Alaykum." She greets. She's tapping her key against her thigh, a sign of anxiety. I'm not sitting here for her to be anxious, so I smile at her and reply her salam.

"Have you eaten?" She shakes her head and I get up to walk to the stove. There's a pot filled with hot spaghetti.

"I don't do a lot of eating out." I look in her direction remembering what made me go to her room in the first place.

"Speaking of eating out, Maama's restaurant is opening a new branch in Wuse 2. So we have exclusive tickets with the Dikkos to attend the opening." She shrugs and asks for the dress code.

"Smart Casual, semi formal event."

She nods and taps her hennaed nails against the countertop. I scoop out some spaghetti and add a drumstick atop it. I place it in front of her and pick out a fork to hand to her. She murmurs a sound of thanks.

"So when is it?"

"Tuesday morning. From twelve pm, its a brunch and late lunch restaurant." She nods and forks some sauced pasta into her mouth. I lean against the warm cooker and watch her eat. I wonder what secrets she holds in that mind of hers.

She looks up from her food abruptly and catches me watching her. I smile and she shakes her head. I wait till she has finished eating before asking what I've wanted to ask all evening.

"Nabeela." She looks at me sharply. I think she knows what I want to ask her. I pour brewed date coffee into her customized mug and my own tall mug, I walk to the fridge to add some ice cubes to the mix.

"Naam." She stands up and walks into the small living room. I follow her, the mugs in my hands, getting her to talk intent on mind. I recite a dua to calm myself and sit opposite her.

"Those marks from earlier, how did you get them?" She looks up and down again to her fingers and plays with her car keypad.

"I'll tell you because I think you deserve to know. We've been married nearly five months now and I haven't fulfilled the role of a wife." I frown at her and file her words away to tackle later. I will not be sidetracked.