Chapter 45: Grim Reaper

"What sort of sick joke is that? What do you mean he died?" I shout in Adeel's face after I opened to his heavy knocking after Fajr prayers.

"Baaba is dead. Get dressed so we can go to the house." I run back into my room and suddenly I feel the urge to ease myself. It's so shocking, I saw him a few days ago, he was alright. He was absolutely fine. Oh Ya Allah, what sort of misfortune is this?

I rush out of the toilet and pull on a black abaya and black hijab. I open the door to Adeel leaning on the door jamb.

"Let's go." He looks me over and I'm taken aback by his calmness. He's so calm, like a still pond.

"What did Maama say happened to him?" He doesn't reply me and i take that as a cue to stop asking stupid questions. He's grieving. The same man he left at work yesterday evening is the same one they say is dead.

He starts his Bentley and drives out of our gates. All in silence.

"Maama phoned me at 4:44. She said Baaba was lying limp. She called Zeenah to check him and she confirmed him dead. He died, just like that. Without any signs. He didn't even get angry because we lost a deal yesterday. Instead he took us out to lunch." He hits the steering wheel and the sound resonates in the car.

"Adeel, calm down. You would not have been able to stop anything, even if you tried. It is his time and no one could have changed it." He doesn't reply me and I take it that he is ruminating on what I said. All of these is so complicated, extra complicated.

"We did everything together, especially before Moh and the rest were born. We wore the same clothes, he used to take me out to lunches after Jumaah service on Fridays. We would walk the entire length of the National mosque to eat our favorite biryani." Light from a car on the other side of the road lets me know that he has been crying.

"We watched Abuja grow together. We would sit on rocks and watch construction cranes go up in the early mornings. We would share our breakfast and sit there in silence." He sniffs.

"We used to do it all together. My favorite memory of him was once when Moh was just born. Moh was born on a Friday, and we went to Jumaah afterwards. Baaba asked a particular woman who sold food at the hospital mosque to give all those in need food. He is never one to mind the cost of making another person happy. Maama says that is one if his biggest flaws." He swipes at his cheek as he manouvers the car into their street.

Cars are parked outside, the gate is wide open. It's only Fajr time and there is already this load of people.

Adeel drives straight into the underground garage and parks. I open my door and try to get out but his words stop me.

"Beela, the next couple of weeks might be one of the longest of our lives. I'll need to know." He sniffs and I reach out to pat his arm. "I'll need to know that you are with me. Please." He bursts into heavy sobs and I pull him close. I don't know, but no one should loose any of their parents, it's such a heart-rending thing. And no matter how useless mine are, I don't know how I'll feel if I loosw either of them. Baaba is too good to die. Wallah.

"Adeel, I'm here. Anytime." He nods and picks out a tissue from the box sitting on the dashboard. I take it from him and wipe his face. I dry his face and pat his cheeks. He nods and I pat his face again, I know he doesn't need pity right now. All he needs is to know that it will all end well.

"See you." I step out of the car and climb the stairs into the main house.

I greet a lot of women on the way. Some stop me for a moment, others simply nod and let me go upstairs.

I climb into the second floor and the sitting room there is occupied by Maama, Zeenah and Zarah who came home with Safiyya a few days ago.

"Nabeela." Maama's eyes are red. Bloodshot even. The rims of her eyes are so  crimson and her beautiful cheekbones hollow. Zeenah moves a bit from her space beside Maama to let me sit on the sofa. It becomes even tighter than I thought it was, but I wouldn't be anywhere else.

"Maama-" A ringtone cuts off my talk and Maama hisses before picking it up.

"Tell Inna Saude and her people to please wait till morning. I've been unable to get them on flights. Adeel is around now and can charter them a plane to bring them to Abuja." She hums and hums in response to whatever the person on the other side is saying when suddenly her body goes stiff.

"What does Inna Saude mean by that. Eh Adala. Her first son dies and all she can think of is her favorite room? Innalilahi. Tell Inna Saude that the only reason I've let her get away with all these things all these years is because of Hassan and Hassan is gone. I will not take nonsense from her, she better know her bounds or she'll mourn her son in Chiroma." Maama hisses and drops her phone in anger unto the table.

"Can you believe this madness? Her son's body is still lying cold upstairs, I'm sure his body is still warm and all that old smelling hag can think of is her deceased son's favorite bedroom." She taps her feet in anger and Zeenah gently rubs her back while Zarah just seats on the other side in tears.

"The last prayers haven't even been said ai and she's doing this already? Oh Ya Allah, why take my Hassan? Why my Hassan? Why?" She bursts into tears and Zarah's tears become louder.

"We went to bed last night glad that Adeel and You were finally happy. That he didn't make a mistake. No signs, nothing and I wake up to pee only to find out he left me while I slept. What if I didn't wake up? I'd have woken up for Fajr only to find his lifeless body?" She sobs hard into her scarf and when she stops, we all just hold each other.

For now, before the crowd comes in, it's our private pain. United in our grief for the man we all loved, till he left our lives while we slept.

******

Hi everyone,

No one should kill me yet. He agreed to die. Ehen.🤗😎 He is such an Amazing Baaba. 🤣🤣. Let's face it, you'd have come to my house if Adeel had died.

Alright. I have only one request. Please Vote and comment. The last chapter felt like I didn't update at all. Please leave a comment, it means the world to me. I'd like to know what you think.

I'll update as soon as I finish writing. On Friday.🤗🤗💙💜

Love y'all. Have a great week ahead.

TheOmoope.