Chapter Eighteen: Our Wedding

Statistics have shown that a clear cut number of young girls around Nigeria can't use sanitary pads due to how expensive they are.

So, Mjayy decided to push forward a project that will distribute pads to many young girls. You can contact her for more information and how you can help the project. Please check the picture in the multimedia.

*********

Water droplets woke me from my fitful sleep, I open my eyes to see Ajìkè standing over me with my praying kettle in her hand, poised to sprinkle more water on me.

"I'm awake." I leaned on my elbows and slowly pulled myself into a sitting position. Then I notice all of them are in my room. Khadijah and Maryam are on the chest in front of my bed while Nusaiba is sitting on my chair, Safiyya is perched on the edge of the table.

" It's your wedding morning, rise and shine." Ajike flops on my bed gently. I get out of my covers and try to get my feet steady.

" I was awake earlier for Subh and Gyran Jiki. So I rose early and thanks to skin treatment, I'm shining." They all burst into loud laughter at my words.  I walk into my closet to get a pair of knee shorts and a tee. Just for lounging until I have to dress later.

As I change in my closet, my mind goes to the conversation Aunty Safa and I had this morning after my final session. It was an emotional morning, she was crying and praying for me. She also made me promise not to ever wallow in pain.

"Nothing, absolutely nothing should make you stay if you are in pain. You deserve a lot of peace in your life." I had squeezed her gently in mine to stop her tears.

"Madam, come out now. The movie is about to start." Nusaiba's voice makes me begin buttoning my shorts. I walk out of the closet to see all of them huddled around a laptop they placed behind a pillow on the chest, all of them laid back on the bed.

I walked towards them and they automatically left space for me in the middle. I sat and watched the opening credits of the movie load. Salman Khan delectable self in Jai Ho greets me. We are watching Jai Ho.

"This Salman guy sef,  can't he behave human, see him jumping over everything likes he's Batman." Safiyya's irritated voice makes everyone laugh, the movie is nearing its end and Salman Khan's character has just been made into a liar. It reminds of when I just returned home, Husband number one made me into a liar, into a cheating wife that he had to leave. Told my father all sorts of stories about me, he's one of the many reasons I can't talk to some of my 'friends' anymore. They all believed his lies against my word.

Ajìkè's ringtone makes me realize my eyes are wet and as I struggle to wipe my tears, I realize that the movie is over. Two hours gone. It's eleven in the morning.

"OK, I'll wait for your video call. I love you too Muad'h, I love you so much." Nusaiba groans out loud.

"We know you love him. In fact, we are tired of hearing it." She hisses and a knock sounds at the door. I climb out of the bed and walk to the door to open it, it's  Aunty Rakiya, the head maid. I greet her and open the door wider for her to come in, she pushes a cloth trolley in. All the clothes I'll be wearing today are on it. Another trolley filled with small plates of small chops and a pitcher of pineapple juice is pushed in by another maid.

Aunty Rakiya passes me a long velvet blue box, no doubt my jewelry for the day. I collect it and place it atop my dresser. In a few minutes, two of my employees will be here to make me up. On a day like this one, I can't trust my hands to be steady. I've done this before doesn't make it any more easier.