Chapter 48: Settling Inna Saude

"Inna Saude, why?"

Maama tiredly asks Inna Saude. We are all sitting in the main living room and Baaba's lawyer has come to settle Inna Saude and Uncle Seidu.

"How can Hassan give me so little? Didn't I raise him? Wasn't he my son?"  Spittle flies out of her mouth while Maama looks on in incredulity.

"Let's begin. Grandma, Hassan's will says that you have the Chiroma house and the farms in Chiroma. He expected that it would be enough. And he bound the will such that it is not contestable." Inna Saude looks at Uncle Seidu for explanation. The lawyer doesn't even change his expression after dropping such a huge news on Inna Saude.

Adeel sits up and explains to her in Fulani.  She flies up from her seat immediately Adeel finished explaining. She raged in a mix of Fulani and Hausa in anger.

"Inna, calm down." Mohammed waves his hands like he's stopping a moving plane. She faces him with her flashing eyes.

"Don't talk you bastard." Adeel flies off his seat and I have my hand on his arm in an instant.

"Inna." Maama silently calls.

Inna settles into her sofa chair and faces Maama. Adeel is eyeing Inna Saude with red anger. His entire face is a shade of red. I press my hands in his to calm him.

"What did I say about calling any if my children names? I thought we agreed you could do whatever you want with yours and you'd have nothing to do with mine." Inna Saude huffs.

Maama continues undeterred. "I just want you to know that Hassan and I talked about this, we talked about your greed and love for his money. And how you didn't think of your Lord, and for your place in Paradise." Uncle Seidu's mouth drops open.

"As for you Seidu. He knew you'd be the orchestrator of all sorts of trouble. All I want to say is, I haven't forgotten what your daughter did to my Nabeela, I will be worse than Hassan if you continue to push this matter. Because it has nothing, absolutely nothing, Seidu to do with you."

Uncle Seidu tries to talk but Maama raises her hand to indicate that she hasn't finished.

"Now, I want the both of you to get ready to go to Chiroma in one hour, there's a helicopter waiting for you, so you'll be home sooner than you know it. If you want to throw tantrums, wait till you get to your own house, this place isn't a breeding ground for greed. Allow us to mourn our loved one in peace." Maama ends her speech with a loud cough. Moh passes her a glass of water that she downs immediately.

I sit back and carefully watch her with heightened respect. She just earned my entire respect. She has me thinking about how my mother would fare if it were her.

Inna Saude and Uncle Seidu walk upstairs almost like robots. Moh escorts the lawyer out. Maama turns to Adeel and I.

"Nabeela my darling. Thank you for holding this house together for the past month. I'm grateful, Allah bless you beyond measure." I get up and  move to her side. She pulls me to herself and I inhale her scent.

"You're the best daughter anyone could ask for." Tears smart my eyes and I blink while fanning my eyes.

"You're the best mother anyone could ever need. Thank you." She pulls me to herself again and doesn't let go of me.

"Maama, I told Beela to go back to work and she's refused to listen to me." I eye him in light annoyance.

She peers at me and I pout in mock annoynace.

"Go and make money. Make other women look their best. I'll be fine here alone. I just need time to process that my love of over thirty years won't be waking up next to me tomorrow morning. That he won't buy me flowers for no reason at all other than to make me blush." Her voice cracks and I go into her arms again.

"Maama, Baaba set pretty harsh examples. How am I supposed to top buying flowers for no particular reason." We all laugh at Adeel's facial expression and the mood is immediately lifted.

"So, when is your aunt coming?" Maama's question stops Adeel from getting up. I see Mohammed smiling into his phone, Adeel follows my eyes.

"Tomorrow Maama. I'll pick her up from the airport private hanger." He turns to me;

"Her money can buy my net worth ten things over, but she's so humble, she's so amazingly humble that I pray for her type of humility." Maama laughs silently.

Moh laughs out loud again, drawing our attention.

"Maama you have to ask him eh." Maama nods in laughter making Adeel pout. His lips look like a cherry when pressed together.

Mohammed ends the call and opens the door to our watchful eyes. He quickly looks down and tries to look elsewhere.

"Mohammed Baba Hassan, am I getting another daughter?" Adeel and I burst into unnecessary laughter and Moh's face turned red.

He lifts his chin indiginantly, making Adeel and I laugh out loud louder. But just as he's about to talk, Inna Saude's loud voice reaches us with her scolding Maama's chef assistant.

Maama gets up almost immediately from her seat and Moh rushes to hold her from going after Inna Saude.

Adeel rushes to carry Inna Saude's case, I didn't see the luggage she brought when she came, and she brought four cases and two other carry-ons. Moh goes to lift another case and a carry-on.

"Inna Saude, I treat my staff here with a lot of respect, I don't know about you but I won't tolerate mistreatment." Because Moh isn't around to stop the ensuing argument, Inna Saude rushes to stand in front of Maama with a glare.

"Watch your back. Sleep with one eye closed." Inna Saude spits out. I carefully get in between them, I tower over Inna Saude and Maama, making it hard for both of them to see each other.

"Have a safe trip Inna." I smile and she walks away when she finds out she can't touch Maama.

Adeel and Moh come back to carry the remaining things but don't notice the tension. Maama stalks off to the kitchen and I follow almost immediately.

"Nabeela, once I become a thorn in your side, please tell me." I frown and walk to her.

"You'll never be a thorn In Sha Allah." She mutters a silent Ameen before turning to bring out Ice Cream from the freezer.

"Let's make an Ice Cream Sundae." I smile and start to bring out the ingredients.

As I do the chore, I watch her deep in thought, and all I think about is how I'd feel if I loved someone for so long and he suddenly left without warning.

I'd just die.

*****

Hi everyone,

It's Saturday yayy. Yesterday was Good Friday and because of it's solemness, I just had to hold on with the update.

Inna Saude needs to stop butting poking her head where it doesn't concern her. Even Maama is tired. I'm the tiredest.

Ive missed updating every weekend 😥😥, I've missed writing everyday, I want to rant all I can but it won't solve anything. I'll just be a good girl.

I love all of you for the 26k, it was amazing to wake up to it. God bless you all abundantly. Stay well, have a great weekend.

TheOmoope.