A False Front

"Once you get the Imperial message, you'll need to take it to Galmar at the Stormcloak camp in Hjaalmarch," Ayla explains as they walk through the halls of the base, weaving between people as they pass, "Galmar will then forge a new message and you'll need to deliver it to an Imperial officer in Morthal,"

Taliyah huffs as they round a corner, "what would you be doing?" she asks, looking over at her friend. It's been a few weeks since Fort Neugrad was captured and Falkreath is now in Stormcloak control. After much consideration, it seems that Ayla and Ulfric have decided on a plan to end the war against the Empire soon.

"I will be leading some of the army and a dragon or two to Fort Hraggstad to claim it for the Stormcloacks while the Stormcloak army will be attacking Fort Snowhawk," she explains before coming to a stop and turning to look at the assassin, "that can only happen if you do good on your end. If you don't, Fort Snowhawk will have reinforcements and will be almost impossible for the Stormcloak army to claim,"

Taliyah nods, not at all afraid of how important her task is or the consequences if she should fail. Normally, she would suggest sending Xaliyah to do the job, but giving the thief is pregnant and both Brynjolf and Ayla refusing to let her go on a mission outside the base, the task falls upon Taliyah. She can get it done regardless, she is no thief but she is well trained in the art of stealth.

Taliyah smirks, "consider it done," she comments and Ayla smiles, visibly more relaxed. Why shouldn't she be when the prospect of the Empire falling being so close. They're almost halfway finished with this war, "I guess I'll see you at Solitude?" she asks and Ayla nods, smile widening a bit as she steps forward and hugs her friend.

"I don't think you'd want to miss a battle like that, friend," 

~

Ayla sets aside the letter from Elenwen that Asteria gave her a few days after her return to the base. She has read it several times and, if she hadn't met the Thalmor Ambassador before, she would have fallen for the obvious trap. The offer is tempting but to agree to the terms would to kill every person in the base.

With a sigh, Ayla grabs the letter again and places it over her open palm, hesitating only for a second before summoning fire and watching as the letter burns in her hand. To her, the letter proves that the Thalmor feel threatened by her, feel their control over Skyrim slipping away with every victory against the Empire. They're afraid and they damn well should be.

They're not going to win this war.

~

Taliyah rides her horse down the empty road, humming quietly to herself. It is a beautiful sunny day and she would much rather be spending it by doing contracts for the Brotherhood, but she also wants to get this war done as quick as possible and this will help.

She turns her horse to the right and up a hill and into the Stormcloak Camp. A few soldiers jump at her approach and go to draw their weapons but relax when they recognize her. Without another glance in their direction, she dismounts her horse and ties him to a low-hanging branch on a nearby tree.

She isn't in her usual dark armor. Instead, she is wearing light brown leather armor completely with a dark brown cape that wraps around her shoulders before falling down to the back of her knees. Her brown hair is in a braid and hangs off of her left shoulder. This should make her less suspicious when approaching the Imperial Legate.

It doesn't take her long to find Galmar in his tent, where he is leaning over a table with a map of Skyrim lying on top, it's corners weighed down with books or knives. He looks up when she enters and she barely sees the shock flash in his eyes. He was obviously expecting Ayla to appear.