New Responsibilities

Xaliyah sighs as she leans against the wall beside the chamberpot, lifting the rag in her hand to her chin and wiping the excess vomit from it. Another day of morning sickness, just what she wanted; she has things to handle today and the child growing inside her seems to want to thwart her plans.

With a smile, she places her hand over her flat stomach, thinking of how these nine months will be worth the struggles in the end when she holds her child in her arms. Oh, how she wishes that day will come sooner rather than later.

After tossing the dirty rag in a basket, she leaves the chamber room, coming to a stop when she sees Bryn still asleep in their bed, his red hair a mess. She smiles at him before walking out onto the balcony, wanting to enjoy the fresh morning air before she had to go meet Asteria in the library.

It wasn't long until the sound of soldiers marching and dragons roaring overhead interrupts her peace. Odahviing and Aaryah fly above the mass of black that is Ayla's army, heading off to battle. She wonders where Ayla is, in the lead or in the rear?

She jumps slightly when a pair of strong arms wrap around her, pulling her back into an equally strong chest, followed by a kiss on the top of her head, "you should be inside where it's warm, lass," come's Bryn's soft voice, one of the few things that could bring her peace in this world.

Xaliyah hums as she rests her head against his chest, a calm smile on her lips. These types of moments are the ones she loves the most, "I'm a Nord, Bryn," she reminds him, her voice soft and calm; relaxed, "I'm not affected by the cold," she adds and he chuckles.

"Aye, but it's not just you anymore," he adds and Xal closes her eyes, her smile faltering for a second. This is the type of conversation she dislikes, him and everyone else thinking she is fragile now just because she is pregnant. She isn't, she can still do stuff around the base that helps the war.

"Bryn, you're a Nord, I'm a Nord. This child is going to be a Nord," she explains softly, turning her head so she is looking up at him, blue eyes meeting green, "I don't think the cold will threaten them,"

Bryn only sighs, his eyes closing as he nods, "I know," he mutters softly, "I...I worry about the both of you," he adds slowly and Xaliyah only smiles as she turns around in his arms so she is facing him, reaching her hand up and placing it on his cheek.

"I know you do and I'm glad you do," she replies, her thumb slowly rubbing up and down on his cheek, "but we will be fine, trust me," she adds and the redhead nods, bending forward to press a kiss to her forehead, but she intercepts him and connects their lips in a gentle and chaste kiss before breaking it.

With a small smile up at him, she turns back around and looks back down at the large army marching towards Haafingar where the war will ultimately end. Silence envelopes the married couple as they watch the army march away from the base, the two dragons flying above them, "I wish I was marching with them," Xaliyah comments almost sadly and Brynjolf chuckles.

"I'm pretty sure you'd have to fight both me and Ayla to be able to fight," Bryn quips before getting serious again, his hand moving over to rest on her stomach where their child grows, "besides, you carry precious cargo that would be in harm's way if you followed Ayla into battle,"

Xaliyah smiles as she places her hand over Brynjolf's larger one, "as much as I yearn to join the fight, I couldn't stand being away from you for that long," she responds, thinking of the long trek the army has and the battles they will be fighting. It will be, at least, a 2 month-long endeavor. She would much rather be here at the base with her family than fighting.

~

"Wait, Ayla wants to outmaneuver Maven Black-Briar?" Xaliyah questions Asteria, wanting to make sure she heard the elf correctly. Asteria, however, seems unimpressed with her question and raises a brow. Always with the seriousness.