Calculating

**Parts may be a bit cringey, but it is the only way I can get plots moving, both main and romance...

~~

"Maven is cruel and will do anything to keep her title as Jarl," Brynjolf explains in the War Room, glancing between Ayla and Taliyah, "anyone who dares cross her usually ends up dead, including her own family members,"

"She also likes to keep close ties with the Brotherhood," Taliyah includes, crossing her arms across her chest as she stares at the map, gaze hardened, "we've had several contracts from her. However, we have been getting fewer from her ever since the previous Brotherhood leader was killed,"

"Indicating it was the person in charge was the one she had ties with," Ayla says, pursing her lips as she considers the information, "was there a past Guild Master with ties to her?"

Brynjolf nods in confirmation, "Mercer Frey," he begins, his eyes narrowing and fists clenching at the name, "he tried to kill Xaliyah and stole coin from the Guild for years. I am certain, however, that was motivated by personal greed rather than Maven. She was furious when she found out about his lies,"

"There are rumors going around saying that Jarl Laila Law-Giver's steward, Anuriel, is a puppet for Maven," Ayla begins, looking over at Brynjolf, "that Maven works through her to get her way around Riften. Could this be true?"

The redhead contemplates the question before shrugging, "it very well could be," he responds, "I wouldn't put it past Maven,"

"Riften's former Jarl and her steward are in Windhelm right now," Taliyah points out, looking between the two, "perhaps we could interrogate her while she remains far from home?"

"And get some answers and dirt on Maven herself," Ayla finishes with a smile and nod, pleased with the idea, "good thinking. Would you be willing to go interrogate her?"

Taliyah smirks as she nods, "it would be my pleasure,"

"No torturing her, Tal," Ayla adds with a stern tone though humor laces it, "I don't need Laila accusing me of attempted murder right now,"

The brunette groans before nodding, "alright, fine," she breathes out, "takes all the fun out of it,"

"I remember a job Maven gave Xaliyah shortly after she became a member of the Guild," Brynjolf speaks up, "she sent Xal to Honningbrew Meadery in Whiterun to poison the mead so the owner would get arrested for it. Maven soon bought the place and called it "Black-Briar Meadery East'," he pauses for a few seconds, "perhaps we could destroy her businesses slowly in a similar fashion,"

"Talk about poetic justice," Ayla breathes out with a small smile, "brilliant. Great ideas to start out with. Let's call it a day. We have a party to attend before we jump right back into the war again,"

Music fills the Great Hall as people dance, sing, and celebrate the victory over the Empire. Young lovers dance with each other, staring at the other with love in their eyes. People sing the songs along with the bards while others are perfectly content with sitting and drinking their ale.

Ayla sits at a table with Taliyah, Brynjolf, and Xaliyah. All three are wearing their armor or casual clothes. Taliyah is in the brown armor of the Thieves Guild, preferring it over the skintight armor of the Dark Brotherhood. Xaliyah is in a light, comfortable dress while Brynjolf is in his usual clothing. Ayla wears the black version of the Thieves Guild armor without her cloak.

"I could never be a bard," Xaliyah comments after taking a drink of water, her gaze moving over to the female bard nearby, "especially when it comes to singing songs about you, Ayla. Half of them are in a different language,"