Welcome to the Manor

Take a deep breath, Layla. Everything will be okay.

I stood in front of the gate of the Bartholy's manor with my luggage and keyboard. My mother always said everything happens for a reason. She always told me to pray to our goddess, and she will guide us. I no longer believe in her. To me, there is no god or goddess. My life was turned upside down that fateful day. I can still hear the screams of the people running for their lives. I was on duty that night. I did everything I could to save them. I knew I couldn't save everyone, but I was a fool.

I should have saved them first. My mother and my baby sister. It's all my fault...

It's all in the past now. I left my hometown to start over. I didn't have a choice. My hometown was burned down. The survivors were taken into the nearest city's hospital that was about 90 minutes away. There was nothing left for me. After recovering, I used whatever money left over to buy necessities...and a keyboard.

Mother and I always played the piano together. It looks like I will be playing alone from now on.

I have nothing of my mother's. The only way I can feel close to her is if I play a song in her honor every night. My mother raised three children on her own. I was the middle child. I had an older, half-brother who was 5 years older than me, but we lost him when I was only 10 years old...

Zacharias, my brother. You are no longer alone. Mother and Lydia are buried with you. I missed all of you so much. Lydia barely remembered you. Maybe you two can get to know each other better in the afterlife...if there is one...

Lydia was only 4 years old when our half-brother passed away. I never saw my mother cried so much that night. Our father didn't even bother to come to the hospital to visit nor funeral to honor his son's death. I hate him so much. He abandoned us right after Lydia was born. No one knew where he was ever since.

"Are you alright?" said a voice.

I looked up and saw a very handsome gentleman: grey eyes with a hint of green and long brown hair that reaches his shoulders. His taste in clothing seems vintage like, something that is very intriguing. Surely, his dress suits the Victorian or Medieval theme of the manor.

The architect who design this did a fascinating job. Though most would find this petrifying, this certainly a work of art.

"I am quite alright, thank you," I replied with a smile, "I find the design of the manor fascinating. It's not every day I get to witness a building so magnificent!"

"I am delighted to hear your satisfaction," the man answered, "Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Nicolae Bartholy. While my father is away, I am in charge of everything that goes on in our home." He paused for a moment and stared into my eyes. He suddenly frowns slightly but quickly regains his self-confidence. "You must be Ms. Layla Vanderveer. It is a pleasure to meet you."

"The pleasure is mine," I said, "You may call be Layla, Mr. Bartholy."

"Nicolae will do, Layla."

I gave him a smile. Nicolae stares at my luggage. "Is this all you brought?" he asked.

"Yes. I have little possession. I felt I didn't need to bring too much since a room would be provided in exchange."

Nicolae doesn't say anything. He just stares into my eyes as if he was trying to read me. Seeing his expression change slightly already tells me he has a hard time doing so. He quickly regains his composure. "I understand," he said with a beautiful smile, "Come in, Layla. I will show you to your room."