Is It Love?

"Layla, one day, you will fall in love. When you do, be wary of who you fall in love with. Make sure you know everything about the person. Sometimes, you may be confused about what love is. The best way to understand your true feelings is to listen to the beating of your heart..."

Mom. I think I love him. I'm scared that my heart is deceiving me. I fear that I'm betraying Cato. Mother, I wish you were here. I need your advice...

.........

"Layla, what happened," Sebastian asked.

"I was terrified," I answered, "I never want to be a paramedic ever again. But it seems as though fate is forcing me to do so. I can't say no to someone whose life is in grave danger. I have to help them otherwise I will regret it."

"Do you hate being a paramedic?" he asked.

I thought about it for a moment. "Actually, no. I still love the thrill of saving others..."

"You should follow your heart. Forget the past and think of your future." He pauses. "You know, I lost my family when I had just turned 18 years old. We took a camping trip when a wolf came and tore us apart. My parents and siblings were all killed. I was the only one who survived..."

"Why are you telling me this?" I asked softly.

"To show you that I trust you. To show you that anything is possible to overcome."

"I'm sorry..."

Sebastian strokes my hair. "I hated myself for being a rebellious teenager. I regret not telling my family that I love them. I never understood why I am still alive. There were moments when growing up that I wanted to kill myself. I develop a habit of drinking. It was the only way for me to forget. But I knew I had to stop. I couldn't just destroy my body for the sake of drowning my pain away. I needed a new outlet. I found that exploration kept me in check. Although venturing into the forest is what got my family killed in the first place, I couldn't stay away from it. I love what I do."

In awe, I could not help but pulled away and get a better look at his face to determine if this was true. Sebastian's face is glum as his golden-amber eyes reflected so much pain buried in his heart. Looking at his pain makes my eyes tear up more. The poor thing went through so much...How did he overcome it?

"You never stop doing what you love..." I said softly.

"Never. I couldn't get myself to stop being an archaeologist," he said while placing a hand on my shoulder.

"And now, you're a famous archaeologist."

"I wouldn't say famous, but thank you."

He's so humble! Another beautiful trait to have. Is there no flaw in this man? Talented, handsome, and intelligent. His personality is gentle, humble, encouraging, and adventurous. This man is absolutely perfect and I am in disbelief. How can he care for a fool like me?

"Sebastian..."

"Yes, Layla?"

"Why do you care about me so much?" I asked.

"Because you are an incredible young lady," he said, smiling.

"You must be blind. A perfect man like you shouldn't be wasting his time with a foolish person like me," I said while turning around and staring down at the floor.

Sebastian places both of his arms around my shoulders and forces me to turn back around. "Look at me," he said while placing a finger under my chin and tilting my head upwards. "You are worth so much more than you think. Since the first time I saw you until now, you are incredible in my eyes. You are gifted and have so much potential to change the world!"