Confrontation

"Mom was a beautiful woman. Her name was Rishima Harper Vanderveer. She was a gifted Medicus Witch. I can recall the moments she played the harp every full moon, the piano every new moon, the guitar or violin every quarter moon. I never understood why she does this, but I became very fond of the piano because of her. She always told me she likes to dedicate her talents to the moon goddess, but it was optional."

I patted my wolf's head as I told him about my mother. The wolf stares at me, anticipating the next part of the story. He's such a good listener! Sometimes, animals are much better than people. People are capable of great evil.

"My mom raised three kids on her own. My dad left us after Lydia was just born. I hated him so much. He didn't bother to call or visit. I never learned why he left. None of us, including my mom, ever receive closure. He just left us a letter saying he could never see us again. When Zacharias fell ill from cancer, he didn't bother to show up. He didn't even attend Zacharis's funeral. Can you believe it? His own son was dead and he didn't care to show up."

I began to cry. My wolf whimpers as he licks away my tears. I continued. "When Zacharias died, my mother fell into severe depression. Lydia was too young to understand at the time. As for me, I couldn't stop crying every night." I paused for a mom before taking a deep breath, "My mother started getting herself together after I got into an accident. It was about a year after my brother passed away. I was walking to Lydia's school to pick her up when a drunken driver hit me. I flung several feet into the air before hitting the ground. I was hospitalized for a while. I was supposed to die but..."

She saved me. If that was the case, why couldn't she save Zacharias?

"I guess you can say she brought me back to life. I just don't understand how. If she could heal me, why couldn't she save my brother?"

My wolf nuzzles his face against my neck, comforting me. "Thanks for listening. I actually feel better talking about it. I miss her so much. I guess the best thing to do is learn about medicus witches and carry on my mother's rituals." I stood up. "It's getting late. I need to go back home before anyone notices that I'm gone."

The wolf stood up next to me. He's so big! Maybe it's a genetic mutation. He's twice the size of a normal wolf. I wrap my arms around his neck. Then, I gave him a kiss on the nose. "Good night, my dearest wolf...Perhaps I should give you a name. Would you like that?"

The wolf just stared at me, puzzled. "How about I name you Marrok? It's from a legend that my mother once told me.  It's about a knight who was thought to be a werewolf. Well, he was, but not in ways people expected."

The wolf growls at me. His eyes seem to have darkened. His reaction surprised me as much as it has scared me. I took a few steps back, trembling. "Okay, okay. We can try a different name."

The wolf growls at me again. This isn't good. Why is he suddenly angry? "Okay, okay, I guess no name for now. How about that?"

The wolf stops growling, but his golden amber eyes show frustration. I took a few more steps back until I feel safe. Except with his size, he can kill me in two seconds.

"I-I have to go!" I cried. I turned around and ran off, back into the manor. What is wrong with him? Why did he suddenly acted that way?

The wolf catches up to me, leaps over me, and stood in front of me. I began to shudder out of fear. To my surprise, the wolf's expression changed. He looks so sad. I reached out slowly and touch his nose. He licks my hand, approaches me, and nuzzles against me. This feels familiar. I wrap my arms around him. I pulled away, cup his face, and stared into his vibrant eyes.