Truth Revealed

"Layla, can you tell me what Zacharias was like?"

"Sure thing, Lydia. Zacharias was a protective older brother. He always kept me safe. He took care of us when mom had to work. He was really good at computers! He always dreamed of inventing his own computer systems. Of course, I never understood anything he tells me, but I always enjoy his enthusiasm."

"I don't remember much. I barely remember how he looks like. He sounds like an amazing brother to have. Where did he go?"

"He went to a place where he can be happy, free from all the pain and suffering. It's a place where he will be at paradise."

"Why did he leave?"

"He didn't have a choice. He needed to be free otherwise he will be battling a disease constantly. In this place, he doesn't need to fight. He is healed."

"Can we go see him? I really want to meet him?"

"When the time comes, we will see him."

"Will you be able to take me there sooner?"

"No, I can't, but someday, many years from now, when we are both old, we can."

"Promise?"

I woke up in a hospital bed. The local anesthetics had made me very sleepy. My head really hurts. I try to sit up, but someone forces me to lay back down.

"Oh no you don't," said a familiar voice, "You just had surgery. You need more rest."

I blink my eyes several times, before recalling what had happened. Sebastian is sitting right beside me, looking relieved.

"The surgeon stitched up your wounds." He takes my hand and examines my entire arm. "I must admit, I didn't expect you to have this many scars. Neither did the doctor."

"Will I be forced to stay in a psych ward?" I asked.

"Well, not exactly. I explain to the doctor your disapproval against psych wards. I also explain to him that you are a survivor from the wildfire. He brought the story since you have quite a number of small, burned tissue throughout your body. I told him that you will be taken care of."

I tighten my grip around his hand. "Sebastian," I said with tears streaming down my eyes, "Please hold me again."

Sebastian was astounded by my request. He gives me a gentle smile, moves closer, helps me sit up, and takes me in his arms. This feels like...Cato...but...also feels like something else. As if...I know him...

I snuggled up in his embrace. There is no way I can tear myself away from him. His embrace makes me feel safe. It makes all my pain go away. This is much better than cutting...

"Layla," Sebastian whispered.

"Yes?" I said.

"I really am concerned for your well being. If you want, I can give you my personal cell phone number. Contact me any time. Whenever you feel the temptation to cut, call me. I will listen to your problems. I will try to advise you to the best of my abilities. Just don't keep hurting yourself."

"Sebastian..." How can I tell him that his presence was enough to soothe me? That his embrace makes me feel safe?

Sebastian strokes my back. "What is it?" he asked.

"Nothing..."

"You can tell me. What can I do for you?"

I became flustered. I gathered enough courage to tell him the truth, even though it sounds like a whisper. "Your embrace makes me feel safe. I-it's comforting..."