The Medicus Blood

"Layla, my dear. Be warn. The blood of a Medicus Witch is powerful. Just a single drop can cure a common cold. Just a cup can rid other blood and joint related diseases, a pint to heal cardiac and respiratory diseases. There are creatures out there that seek our blood because it is an addictive drug to them. Do not associate yourself with them otherwise, you will suffer a terrible death."

I woke up in the middle of the night, startled by this dream. If what mother says is true, I have to leave. I am no longer safe here now that Peter has tasted my blood. But where will I go? There's nothing left for me in this world. I look at the scars on my arms. I wasted my blood on this! Oh, how I wish I can turn back time and wish I never started this.

I put on my coat and decided to go for a walk. When I reach the bottom of the stairs, Nicolae was standing there. What is he doing there?"

"Layla, we need to talk," he said, "Come with me."

I follow him into another room. This must be the library. It's a lot bigger than expected.

"Have a seat."

I sat down on the sofa, not far from Nicolae. There's an overwhelming anxiety consuming me.

"Have you been cutting yourself?" he asked.

"No."

"Show yourself to me please."

I am caught by surprise. I start to fluster. "You mean...my entire body?"

Nicolae looks a little uneasy. "I meant your arm...is that not the only place you have cut in the past?"

"No, sadly..."

"I see..." Nicolae coughs. "Just your arms will do for now..."

I rolled up my sleeves and present both arms to Nicolae. He gently takes my hands in his. "I am proud that you are taking a step to better yourself." His expression darkens a little, "Peter told me what happened. He lost control after tasting your blood...How did that happen?"

Great. Peter didn't tell Nicolae about our encounter in the music room...

"Um...We...we..." I felt myself fluster. "We...kiss...and...Peter accidentally...bit my lower lip..."

Nicolae looks at me with a shock expression. "Layla...are you familiar with what your blood can do?"

"Not exactly...I remember mother telling me what my blood could heal almost every disease, and how much it would require. That's all I can remember."

"Medicus blood is a powerful medicine to heal the sick. It is also the most desire blood for vampires..."

I freeze on the spot. I really hope they don't plan to drain me...

"The only thing Medicus witches cannot do is cheat death," Nicolae said.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"When it is time for someone to die, drinking the blood of the Medicus Witch is rendered useless. If a Medicus Witch wishes to keep their loved ones alive a little longer, they must breathe life into them, meaning shortening their own lifespan and giving it to another."

I ponder for a moment. Zacharias... "Nicolae, say someone was dying from cancer. If that person was meant to die, then drinking the Medicus blood would be useless?"

"Precisely. If death had his eyes set on that person, there's nothing a Medicus witch can do."

"Nicolae...my brother passed away when he was only 15 years old. Was he meant to die at that age? I mean, my mother tried to help him. To heal him..."