Sebastian's Secret

"Layla, my dear. Witches of our kind have many enemies. Despite the good we do, there are many creatures out there who are desperately greedy for our blood."

"Mom, you're just making stuff up."

"My daughter. Whether you believe me or not, listen to my words. It will not fail you. Vampires are our biggest enemy due to their addiction with the taste of our blood. Although many do not intend on killing us off, they cannot control their bloodlust. Our Medicus blood is so satisfying to their desires, they will do anything to obtain some at all costs."

"I assume vampires would get their hands on whatever kind of blood they could find."

"That is true. We also have another enemy. Although they can become an ally in terms of protecting us against vampires, the moment they smell our blood, they may be tempted to go against us."

"What do you mean?"

"Our blood can aid the development of new talents and abilities to other creatures. While vampires drink our blood to increase their current abilities a hundredfold, werewolves consume it for the sake of developing new abilities. It is not known to as of what, but if they consume enough of the blood and flesh of the Medicus Witch, they are granted with new abilities."

"Mom, you sound delusional..."

"You will understand what I mean when you're older..."

.....................

"You're...you're..." I stuttered to mention the word. After recalling my mother's words, I do not dare say it. It's one thing to know the danger, like Peter's case. It's different when it comes to betrayal. Mom once said werewolves are tricky to understand. One moment, they are there. The next, they stab you in the back...But if I accepted vampires in my life, surely I can accept a werewolf. But that's not what's bothering me the most.

"Sebastian..." I sigh, "You were the werewolf that visited me every night..."

Sebastian gave me a defeated look. "Yes, I am."

"But why couldn't you tell me?" I asked, "I basically told you my entire life story. My family. My addiction. My identity. It turns out, I have been telling you everything about my life in that forest. Why did you pretend? Why did you lie? Why couldn't you be honest with me?

"Layla, I'm so sorry," Sebastian said, looking at me sadly, "But I was afraid. If I told you my secret, sharing you my identity, would you still confine in me? Would you still be able to speak your heart out to me, releasing all the burden that drags you into the darkest corners of your mind?"

I ponder upon his words. He's not wrong. I trusted the animal more because I figure my secrets would be bury with him. After all, animals cannot speak...

"I guess I probably wouldn't..." I answered.

"There was something else," he hesitates for a moment before continuing, "I...I know your mother..."

"What?" I asked, surprised.

"I met your mother in the Shining Lylic Forest. Rishima saved my life many years ago."

"What did she do?"

Sebastian signs. He keeps looking from me to Peter and then from Peter to me. Peter is curious about Sebastian's past as well as I am. Sebastian is hesitating probably because he's not comfortable saying anything in front of Peter. Realizing this, I walked to Peter, and said, "Peter, I think you ought to return home. I will speak with Sebastian alone."

"Layla, I don't want to leave you alone," he said softly.

"Peter, I promise I will see you later. I also need you to do me a favor...but it might be too much..." I suddenly feel uncomfortable.