The Pianist's Heart

Sebastian drives me back to the manor after our conversation. We exchanged our promises to love and cherish one another. I have never thought I would end up finding real love. Being inexperienced with the concept of relationships, I still feel a little awkward using the word "boyfriend". If only my mother were here. She could advise me on the do's and don't's in a relationship. Then again, her marriage failed...Dad...Why did you leave?

"We're here, my dearest medic," Sebastian said.

"Don't call me that," I replied, "I'm no medic...I mean...I'm not ready to dive back into that field."

"I understand. Are you at least considering it?" he asked.

I ponder before answering. "I guess...I'll have to think about it."

"I wouldn't mind giving my recommendations. I've seen your work. It's amazing!"

"Sebastian, do you not see a fault in me?"

"I could ask you the same question in regards to my own flaws."

We both laugh. It feels so good to laugh again. I don't remember the last time I was ever this happy.

"Good night, my wolf," I said, "I will see you tomorrow."

"Good night, my witch. Stay warm and sweet dreams."

Sebastian gave me a kiss goodbye before I got out of his car. I gave him a wave as he drove off. I enter the manor, feeling exhausted. I slowly climb on these never-ending stairs to my room. Normally, stairs never bother me. After today's series of events, I feel totally drain! All I want to do is sleep. I'll shower in the morning.

As I approach my room, I heard Peter playing his piano. There is something different about this melody. It's as if someone broke his heart...Oh no...

"Peter..." I whispered, "I'm sorry..."

His music became deeper and sadder. The way he plays made my eyes tear up. It's as if he could hear me.

I sigh and decided to confront him. If I don't, I'll never be able to sleep. All this anxiety and stress will cut my years short for sure...

"Peter..." I said, knocking on the door.

The music halted and the door flies open immediately. Peter's expression looked as if he's been crying for hours on end. His eyes no longer shine, but rather lost its spirit. Even though he is trying his best to look indifferent, I could see past the facade.

"What do you want?" he said, coldly.

This tone...he is definitely upset with me...

"Peter, I just wanted to say--"

"Layla, please leave me be. You have broken my heart. Yes, I came back. Yes, I heard your confession. Yes, I saw you kiss another man. Yes, it angers and saddens me. But what did I expected? Only fools seek love. I have not loved another woman in nearly two centuries. When I finally decide to open my heart to you, you rejected it. You did not return my affections. When I kissed you the first time, I immediately wanted more. But curse this damn bloodlust! Curse this damn eternity! Have I remain a mortal and die two centuries ago, I would never suffer another heartbreak!"

Hearing his words made me cry. Deep down, I feel so guilty for hurting him. I could hear my heart-shattering at the realization that I played his feelings without realizing. I have to make it up to him...but how? I am the source of his pain...

"Peter...I..."

"Layla, you are tormenting me daily. No matter what I do, everything reminds me of you. Even when I tried to drown my pain into my usual music, all I could see is a memory of me watching you play the piano at school while singing so sweetly."