Unexpected Exchange

"When I was a little girl, Zacharias always protected me from bullies. He always took care of me when my parents were away. Zacharias is my half-brother, but that didn't matter. He is still family, and that's all that counts. He was diagnosed with leukemia, a blood cancer, at such a young age. When my parents married, my dad already had a son. His first wife died from leukemia. Despite the chemo treatments, Zacharias never let anything stop him. He excelled in school. One day, after Lydia was born, dad left us. We never understood why. Zacharias had always hoped he would return to us. I remember him staring at the window with his emerald-green eyes and jet black hair..."

I gasp. "He did look like Peter! How did I not see it before?"

I turned to the wolf. "I must go. There are some things I need to clear up with Peter!"

The wolf starts to growl.

"No need. I'm here. I heard enough."

I quickly turned around and spotted Peter's sad eyes. The wolf didn't bother to run off. He just sat there, glaring at Peter. Peter signs and ran his hand through his hair.

"Layla, am I just a brother to you?"

"I'm sorry Peter. At first, I was confused about my own feelings. But after putting a lot of thought into it, I decided that I choose Sebastian. Even if he doesn't reciprocate these feelings, I know mine is true."

Peter remains silent. It's not easy to see what is he thinking in his head.

"Zacharias is a dear brother to me. Although he didn't play the piano as you did, he was the strongest person I ever met. He fought through everything and kept a beautiful smile. If it weren't for him, I would get pick on by other kids all the time. I was a weak kid. I needed my big brother to protect me..." I sigh. "He used to read to me every night and reassure me that there are no monsters to get me. Whenever I get nightmares, I would wake him up in the middle of the night, terrified. He never complained. He just comforted me. When I use to have trouble sleeping, he let me sleep next to him. To ensure that these nightmares leave me."

"What you're telling me is that you see me as your brother this whole time?" Peter asked.

"To be quite honest, I didn't catch it in the beginning. I thought I was developing feelings for you, which is very vexing since I was also feeling something for Sebastian and have this feeling of betrayal against Cato. But he's been gone for several months already. I felt the need to move on."

"Layla..."

"Peter, please don't be sad. It wasn't an easy decision for me. I hope you know that."

"And you couldn't tell me yourself? I have to hear it from you telling this...this...wolf about your inner turmoil?"

"This wolf has always been my keeper of secrets," I said, "I trust him and know he would never tell anyone about it. Ever since the first night I met him, he has always been a great companion of mine."

"I was so worried about you," Peter said sadly, "I smelled your blood and thought you were cutting yourself. Instead, I find you saving...him."

"Peter, do you know who he is?" I asked.

The wolf starts to growl. I took a step away from him. "Okay, okay. It's your secret. I guess whenever you're ready to confide in me, I'll be here."

Peter lets out a shrilling laugh that scares me. "You really have no idea who he is?"

His eyes turned blood red and his fangs appeared. "You dirty animal! You stole the one person I never thought I could love again!"

Both Peter and the werewolf were preparing to fight. Fear of either one getting hurt, I came between them. "Stop it! Both of you!"