Finding A Ghost

Summary: While on the run from from the government after the battle in Leipzig, Steve can't help but worry about Natasha and how she'd been dealing with the aftermath.  Had she escaped Ross?  Was she even still alive?  He knew she could be untraceable if she wanted too, but somehow he also knew where she had gone.

A/N: italics represent things said in Russian. Enjoy!

It had been months since he'd last been with his full team.  Scott and Clint had both chosen house arrest after escaping the RAFT, giving up their titles as superheroes and Avengers.  Steve understood; if he'd had a family, he would want to be with them rather than constantly move around until the Accords could be amended.  If they could be amended.  He'd had Wanda and Sam with him for a while, but Vision had showed up one day and Wanda had left with him, promising Steve she'd call if she so much as thought they had been found.  That had left him and Sam together to run from the American government.  However, one person remained unaccounted for and he couldn't shake the thought that somehow he had failed Natasha after she'd saved them in the airport.

"You're sure?"  Sam asked, watching Steve pack up his few belongings in the small shack they'd found abandoned somewhere in Latvia.

"I have to at least check,"  Steve answered, zipping up his backpack and turning to face Sam.  "Without her help, we would have all been trapped in that floating prison.  I have to make sure she's alright."

"I think we would have heard something if she wasn't,"  Sam stated.  Steve just sighed and looked at Sam.  Sam couldn't find it in himself to keep telling Steve not to chase after the spy when the man looked so dejected and worried.

"Please, Sam,"  Steve said.  "I have to make sure she's okay."

"Fine,"  Sam conceded, only because Steve looked like an actual kicked puppy.  "But if you don't find her, don't assume the worst."

"No promises,"  Steve replied.  He shouldered his backpack and picked up the wallet full of cash T'Challa had given him when he dropped Bucky off in Wakanda.  "Just, don't get caught while I'm gone, okay?"

"I'll try my best,"  Sam promised.  Steve nodded and pulled Sam in for a short hug before leaving the shack.

* * * * *

Steve took a train from Latvia to St. Petersburg, Russia.  He arrived late at night and managed to find a run down motel to stay in for the night.  He was up as soon as the sun was and spent the entire day searching for Natasha.  He doubted she'd stay St. Petersburg very long if at all, but he had to check all the possible places she could be.  It took him two days to exhaust his options and then he was back on the train and headed to Moscow.

A part of him worried she might be in a small town or maybe not even in Russia, but he knew it was easier to hide in cities and she had gone to Russia last time she'd needed to rediscover who she was after SHIELD fell.  He considered if that meant she'd think Russia was too obvious, but he was already only an hour from Moscow and he wasn't going to turn around just because he was worried she might not be there.  If she wasn't, he'd check Volgograd then return to Sam and think up where else she could possibly be.

* * * * *

He spent another night in a cheap motel then set off on his search for Natasha in the morning.  Moscow was much more busy and fast paced compared to St. Petersburg, so Steve had a little bit more trouble getting around.  However, it struck him as the perfect place to hide.  People didn't blink twice at him (if they even bothered to look at him) and they were all busy with their own agenda.  The perfect place for any Russian to go if they were hiding from a foreign government.