The Best of the Worst

Summary: Steve never liked celebrating his birthday after coming out of the ice. It always reminded him of what he'd lost and how he would never truly fit into the modern world. Luckily for him, Natasha won't let this day pass without making him enjoy it.

Steve was jolted awake by someone jumping on top of him.  Out of instinct, he grabbed his attacker and flipped them underneath him.  He blinked in surprise to see Natasha under him, looking a little annoyed at his sudden reaction.  She grimaced slightly, something he wouldn't have noticed if he didn't know her so well, and tried to pull her hands out from his grip.  When he realised how tight he was holding onto her, he let her go immediately and apologised, rolling off her and back onto his bed.

"And here I thought you'd wait to attack until after I threw the cake at your face,"  Natasha grinned, propping herself up on her side to grin at Steve.

"Wait, you're going to throw a cake at my face?"  Steve asked, frowning in concern.  She shrugged.

"Not anymore,"  she replied, smirking.  "Now I have to do something you won't be expecting.

"Very reassuring,"  he deadpanned.  She grinned and sat up abruptly.  "Hey, leaving so soon?"  Steve whined as she tried to leave his bed.  He sat up and wrapped an arm around her, something he wouldn't have normally done but found himself confident enough to do right then.

"Well, I have to tell Sam he can throw the cake at Tony now that I've ruined the surprise,"  Natasha said, combing her fingers through Steve's hair.  He frowned and tightened his hold on her.  "You're pretty confident for someone who thought they were being attacked a few minutes ago,"  Natasha murmured, not fighting when he pulled her back down to the bed.

"Yeah, well it's my birthday,"  Steve defended.  Natasha laid on her side and staring at him blankly.  "I can do whatever I want."  He grinned, praying he wouldn't regret this tomorrow when his confidence had worn off.

"Does that include capturing helpless women and forcing them into bed with you?"  Natasha teased.  Steve rolled his eyes and purposely ignored the fluttering in his stomach at what she had implied.

"Sure, when the helpless woman isn't actually so helpless,"  Steve replied cheekily.  They both knew very well that Natasha could get away if she wanted, so the fact that she wasn't fighting him at all was both exciting and a little terrifying.

"Is this a special 100th birthday thing or is it going to become a new normal?"  Natasha asked.  Steve paused, not quite sure what she meant.  "Should women stay clear of you on future birthdays or is today just an exception?"  she teased, poking his ribs with her finger.

Steve jerked away, grabbing for her hand to keep it from continuing to poke at him.  She used her other hand to poke at him and he held both her wrists far enough away she could no longer pester him.

"They should really only be worried if they keep assaulting me,"  Steve told her.  He put both her wrists in one of his hands and used his free hand to poke her.  She squawked, a very un-Natasha like sound that made him grin.  He poked her again and she squirmed away only for him to pull her back and continue his attack.

"Stahp!"  she laughed, rolling out from under him to escape the incessant tickling.

She yelped as she fell off the bed, throwing her arms around Steve and accidentally pulling him down on top of her.  He stopped himself from landing on top of her, propping himself on his hands above her.

"Well, this is awkward."

Natasha sat up to look over Steve's shoulder and he twisted around to see Sam standing in the doorway with a cake in his hand.