Sleep Alone

Summary: The 5 times Natasha and Steve fell asleep in the other's bed on accident and the 1 time they fell asleep together on purpose.

1.

There was only one thing on Steve's mind and that was sleep. He and Natasha had just returned from a mission and neither had slept in over 39 hours. He figured he wouldn't have been quite so tired if he hadn't spent the last two hours fighting a bunch of Hydra agents, but nevertheless, he was exhausted and ready for bed.

The elevator ride up the Tower to his floor was dead silent as Natasha dozed off in the corner of the elevator, leaning against it to remain upright. They reached his floor first and he stepped off. He walked down the hall to his room, not registering another pair of footsteps following him until he stopped and someone bumped into him. He spun around to find Natasha with her eyes barely open, swaying on her feet. He reached forward to keep her upright when she swayed a little too far backward and she collapsed against him.

"This isn't your floor, Nat," he told her softly. She just moaned and shifted in his arms.

"Too far," she muttered. Steve sighed and glanced at his closed bedroom door. He gently picked her up and carried her into his room, laying her on the bed while he tried to find something more comfortable than her cat suit for her to sleep in. When he turned around, t-shirt in hand, she was already fast asleep.

"Nat?" he said quietly, nudging her gently. She moaned and her eyes fluttered open. He handed her the t-shirt and she groaned. "You don't want to sleep in your catsuit."

"...wanna," she mumbled, face pressed into the pillow. Steve sighed and rolled her onto her back.

"Would you like me to help you?" he asked, only realising what he'd asked after it had already been said. She didn't seem to mind and nodded, eyes still closed.

Forcing his mind to stay silent, he unzipped her catsuit and pulled the top part down. He helped slide his t-shirt over her head and pulled her arms through the arm holes before pulling the rest of the catsuit off. He found a pair of his smallest sweatpants and rolled the waistband multiple times before sliding them over her legs.

"Done," he told her.

She smiled sleepily and rolled back onto her stomach, hugging her pillow tightly and falling right back asleep.

He changed as well and walked back into the bedroom. He glanced at Natasha, wondering if she'd mind him sleeping beside her. Before he'd made up his mind entirely, he found himself falling onto the bed beside her. Apparently his body didn't care someone else was in his bed, but he didn't have much time to worry about what would happen in the morning when she woke up to find him beside her because he drifted off to sleep a few moments later.

2.

Natasha helped Steve walk down the hall of her floor on the Tower, letting him use her as a crutch even though he claimed not to need help. She could feel his weight pressing down on her shoulders as he limped beside her, but she didn't point it out. If Steve wanted to lie to himself, who was she to stop him? His body knew what he needed and wouldn't let him go without the help longer than necessary. However, he didn't object when she brought him up to her floor rather than drop him off at his after their stop in the medical bay.

"You don't have to watch me, Natasha," Steve said, letting her guide him to her bedroom nonetheless. She pushed open the door and helped him over to the bed.

"Considering your injuries were supposed to be mine, it's the least I can do to make sure you're comfortable," Natasha said. She'd given up on being upset with him for taking the bullet and following beating intended for her. It had taken the entire four hour surgery and the rest of the flight to the Tower, but she was finally able to talk to Steve about it without exploding at him for risking their mission and being stupid.