the world has layers & so do we: part one

Summary: So here's the thing, Natasha might be just a little (read completely and utterly) in love with her bodyguard Steve Rogers. That might not seem like a big problem, but get this: she's the Princess of Prussia and expected to marry Crown Prince Bruce of Wales. There's also the fact that, you know, her parents don't really know her and Steve are unofficially courting. Thank goodness (not) some rebels were able to reveal that particular secret to the ENTIRE WORLD!

Romanogers royalty AU with Natasha joining the Stark family (meaning there's some wholesome Natasha/Tony sibling-ship as well as some wonderful Romanogers content)

Author's Note: Please hit me with your ideas. I'll mostly see what you DM me, but comment your ideas here too because I'm going to make a point of reading all my notifications so I can see your ideas.

Natasha was pretty sure that Steve was trying to get them caught at this point. He hadn't exactly been subtle when stating his protest against having yet another royal ball for her and Prince Bruce. Luckily, her parents hadn't seemed to suspect anything other than Steve being annoyed he had to work another late night. Natasha had come up with some excuse about needing to leave before Steve could try and argue further, making her parents even more suspicious than they might already be. She had every reason to think Tony already knew, but she was desperately clinging to the small hope her parents were still completely oblivious.

Before the guards or servants could see them, Natasha grabbed Steve by his sleeve and pulled him into the nearest empty room. She spun him around and pushed him against the wall, glaring at him for risking their cover and accidentally exposing their relationship to her parents.

"What were you thinking? You could have gotten us caught," she hissed. Steve grinned down at her and her glare hardened. "This isn't funny. They could kill you if they wanted."

"Have I ever told you it's a huge turn on when you take control and slam me into a wall?" Steve asked, throwing Natasha off for just a moment. "Cause it is and I feel like you should know that."

"Steve," she growled, "This is serious. If you keep throwing a fit whenever they arrange for me to meet with another prince, they'll figure it out at some point. I'm pretty sure Tony already knows as it is."

"Oh, Tony definitely knows," said a voice behind them. Natasha froze, eyes widening as she took a moment to recognise the room she'd pulled Steve into. Sure enough, Tony's red and gold decorations met her eyes and she turned around to see her brother smirking behind her. The asshole was even lying on his couch with a book on astrophysics in his hands as if this was a common occurrence.

"What are you doing here?" she whined, letting go of Steve to face Tony. He raised an eyebrow at her.

"What am I doing here?" he repeated, sitting up and closing his book. "I live here. What are you--" he waved at Natasha and Steve, "--doing here is the better question."

"Clearly, we're having an important discussion that doesn't involve you," Natasha snapped. Tony rolled his eyes then gave Steve a welcoming nod. Steve smiled and nodded back much to Natasha's annoyance. At this rate, she wouldn't be surprised to find out Steve had just flat out told Tony they were secretly courting. The two seemed closer than she and Steve did sometimes.

"No, my name was said," Tony objected, a wide grin on his face. "I think this conversation involves me."

"It'll involve you when you can figure out how to get us out of the stupid ball with Prince Bruce this weekend," Natasha bargained. Tony pursed his lips, tilting his head to the side for a second. After a short moment, he clasped his hands together and stood up with a somewhat unnerving smile.