When the Ball Drops

Summary: Steve and Natasha decide to go to Times Square to watch the ball drop this year instead of watching it with the team on Tony's TV. As it turns out, it's super easy for anyone to take a gun anywhere and their first date of the new year ends with them in the hospital.

Involves a mass shooting, so do not read if that will trigger you.

"Nat, come on," Steve said, tugging on her hand. She'd been arguing with Sam and Rhodey for the past five minutes and if they didn't get to Times Square in the next few minutes, they wouldn't have a good spot.

"Oh cool it, Cap," Tony replied, smirking when Steve sent him an annoyed glare. "She just wants to make sure there's a place for you two to come back to so you can open your new year with unimaginable sex."

"Tony, I will throw you off the roof," Natasha warned, finally conceding to Steve's tugging and allowing him to pull her to the elevator.

Tony just grinned and waved happily as he walked into the living room to join Pepper on the couch. Wanda and Vision were eating popcorn on the floor while Sam and Rhodey argued about something Natasha had said. Before she could go back and correct them, Steve closed the elevator doors and they left.

"You know, if we get stuck with a bunch of weirdos and a horrible viewing spot, it's your fault," Steve warned. Natasha rolled her eyes as she tucked her hands into the crook of his elbow. "Just saying. You know how Times Square gets."

"I don't even know why you want to go," she muttered, leaning against him. "It's one of the biggest events of the year and you want to be a tourist stuck in a massive crowd."

"It's the experience we're going for," Steve reminded her. He kissed the top of her head and walked with her out of the elevator. "Not everyone can say they've been to Times Square on New Year's Eve and as a New York native, I think we should be ashamed this is the first time we've been."

"Either that or considered lucky," Natasha mumbled.

Steve elbowed her and she swatted his arm before tucking herself up against him once again. Steve knew she had never liked big crowds; she always said it reminded her of being on a mission which automatically put her on edge. Anyone could hide in a crowd and if they didn't pay attention, they wouldn't notice them until it was too late.

"Relax," Steve told her, kissing her head a couple times just because he wanted to. "There's police everywhere and I'm right here. You don't have to go full-mission mode."

"It's a habit," she replied, tugging tighter on his arm as they neared Times Square.

"Well, then pretend you're on a mission and I'm your target," Steve said. Natasha looked up at him and raised an eyebrow.

"You're my target?" she asked, obviously doubtful about the idea.

"Yeah," Steve nodded eagerly. "I'm the target and your mission is to make this the best New Year's Eve for me."

"What happens if I fail?" Natasha mused, smiling up at him. He could tell she was already ignoring the crowd of people walking along with them towards the Square and resisted the urge to feel proud of himself.

"If you fail?" he asked, stalling to think up something that would actually motivate her not to fail. "If you fail, you have to cook the entire team food for every meal and work with Tony and Sam in their hand-to-hand every day after practice for a month."

"What?" she exclaimed, jaw dropping. Steve nodded. "That's not fair!"

"Then I guess you don't want to fail," he teased.