Chapter Six-

"What happened now?" I snapped at my best friend as soon as I got into the Jag five minutes later.

He didn't say a word right away. Instead, he stared at the steering wheel, his fingers curled over into a tight fist. He looked lost.

"Dae?" I lost the anger I'd been holding onto from been ditched as I turned around to face him, angling my body towards his, studying his demeanor.

"I'm sorry for what I did to you today at school San," he began in a whisper, his eyes still on the steering wheel, pools of icy blue misery. "Dad had another round of chemo today and I just... I don't know. Mom couldn't even leave her room today, after crying herself to sleep yesterday. I just wanted to forget." He paused, gripped the wheel before continuing, "That's not an excuse for my behavior, I know. What I did, leaving you behind was shitty, I know, but..."

I placed a hand on his shoulder. "It's okay, Dae. It's going to be okay." I watched him, waiting for him.

It took seven minutes for him to stop staring at the wheel and finally meet my eyes.

"You're the best San," he smiled. "I don't know what I'd do without you. This won't happen again." He covered my hand with his, squeezing it gently. "You know I love you right?"

My heart skipped a beat at his words.

I nodded before opening my trap, trying to break the strain in the atmosphere, "So how did the chemo go? Has anything changed?"

He stared at our interlocked fingers. "It'll take a couple of days before the results come out. But Dr Evans gave us six months, at most a year."

A gasp escaped me naturally at that thought.

Daddy Phil had at most only a year left? 

No!

"No! That can't be!" I snapped, tears rolling down my face now. "That doctor doesn't know what he's talking about!"

"He's the best San. He knows what he's talking about." Daemon sounded resigned to that conclusion.

"How's Daddy Phil taking it?"

"Dad's accepted it. He's already set up a meeting with his lawyers tomorrow for a brush up on his will."

We sat in silence for a while before my phone started vibrating.

Mom was calling me.

I let it go to voicemail, before typing out a reply, informing her that I was hanging with Daemon.

"Who is it?"

"Mom," I replied, hitting the SEND button. "She wants me to start on my homework."

He sighed, releasing my hand. "It's alright, you can go. I need to go anyways."

"But Dae-"

"It's alright. Hannah's waiting for me. I don't want to be late." He stared out at the road, refusing to look at me.

"Fine," I snapped, opening the door, before slamming it shut quite harshly and stomping into the house, refusing to even look back once when he started calling for me.

"Screw you Daemon Matthews!" I yelled out my frustration as soon as the door reverberated after slammed it behind me.

My phone vibrated seconds later as I tried to calm down.

It was from Daemon. I contemplated deleting it before reading it, but curiosity got the best of me.

'You know I love you, right?'