×°••

" 'Have Gun, Will Travel' reads the cards of a man. A knight without armor in a savage land...." Vern sings, only to be given a glare from his friends, quieting him down.

" I'm sorry if I'm spoiling everybody's good time," Teddy apologizes, wiping his glasses of his tears.

Chris pats his back, leaving Dylan by himself. " It's okay, it's okay, man."

Dylan stops in his tracks, thinking of what to say next. " Maybe it shouldn't be a good time." Gordie nods with agreement, making the rest of the guys stop.

" You saying you wanna go back?"

" No, it's just-- I mean we're going to see a dead kid for Christ's Sake. I don't think we should be celebrating  that."

" Yeah, like if he's really bad like all cut up with blood and shit all over him. I'm gonna have nightmares!" Vern agrees.

" Shut it, Vern," Dylan says above a whisper, looking through his bag for his camera, giving himself a distraction. Chris turns to look back at the photographer, noticing his facial expression; his eyes are even darker than before, brows furrowed as his lips give a slight pout. A strand of hair falls in front of his face, which he blows at. Chris looks away, comprehending what he's doing. His cheeks grow rosy, his bottom lip sticking between his teeth.

" Vern, stop it," Chris orders, taking another glimpse at the long blond.

" You know, like all guts and eyeballs....jumping around?"

" Shut the fuck up!" All the boys jump, looking over at Dylan: Teddy and Gordie stare in bewilderment, Vern in fear, Chris seems to look with sadness and empathy. Dylan scoffs at Chris' look before walking past everyone; he would rather be feared than looked down upon by others. He's not some kid.