3

Arkyn walked back into the house, past Xavier who was smirking.
"What happened? Your date get bored already?"
"Go to hell, Xavier." Arkyn scowled.
"Wow. Haven't seen you this pissed off since, well, ever."
"I take it your sister hasn't spoken to you?"
"About what?"
"Apparently some people got in touch with her about finding me for Elijah. For some reason she really wants a reunion."
"Ah."
"What?"
"She's trying to repay the favour, you idiot. If it weren't for you, she and I would be estranged."
"What are you talking about?"
"Look, a week or so before mom's death, when you were in Australia, Alexis and I got in this massive fight. We were so pissed at each other, we just ignored each other. Then mom died and you came for the funeral and we didn't want to disappoint you so we pretended like everything was fine between us. And then you didn't go back so we had to just get over it. If it hadn't been for you I'd probably have gone to that college in New York, and we'd never be talking to each other."
"Wait. You didn't want to disappoint me?"
"Oh shut up. We were young. You were mom's oldest friend, and you always stuck around, helped us out. Helped her out. You were a father to us. And it seemed kinda petty to hate each other over mom's grave. Or even in front of you. Disappointing you- it would've been like we were dishonouring our mom."
"Your mom would be so proud of who you've become. The two of you." He pulled Xavier in for a hug.
"How did you meet mom anyway?"
"She was young, I think thirteen? This was the time I had a dog. I was walking through the park and these kids were picking on her. I helped her out, compelled them away and asked her if she was okay. She smiled and said she would be but only if I let her play with my dog." Arkyn chuckled. "She knew I was a vampire, but she demonstrated so much compassion I couldn't walk away."
"Gross."
"No, not that way!" Arkyn shook his head. "The way she handled those kids, like what they said didn't even affect her. It probably didn't, she had such thick skin, but she was also kind. Even to a vampire. She did tell me if I tried anything she'd boil my blood with her mind and run away with my dog, though, so there was that. Anyways, she reminded me that even with all the hatred and monsters that walked the earth, there was also a lot of good and I wanted to make sure she was safe. And we became really good friends."
"Thanks, Ark."
"For what?"
"For sticking around, with mom. With us. Thanks."
"Your mom helped me out too. I had a rough time, and she helped me see all the good in the world. She reminded me of who I wanted to be. I spent so much time alienating myself from people, but she reminded me of the goodness in people." Arkyn walked to the stairs. "Anyways, I'm going to call it a night."
"See ya." Xavier waited until Arkyn was out of earshot then headed out of the door putting on his leather jacket.

He headed into the Grill, and saw the girl that Arkyn had his eye on at the front of the bar talking to the bartender. He walked over to get a drink. He ordered and sat on a stool next to Bonnie.
"You're Bonnie, right?" He smiled.
"Who are you?" She asked suspiciously.
"I'm a friend of Ark's. My name's Xavier."
"Oh. Hi."
"Don't tell me he ran you away already." Xavier teased.
"I don't know what happened, actually. One moment everything was fine, the next he just had to go."
"Don't take it personally. He's kept his distance from people, practically all his life. You managed to actually get him to forget that and go on a date with you, in less than a week. You must be something special."
"What do you mean?"
"Ark feels like if he lets himself get close to someone he's going to hurt them. He'd rather be a loner than disappoint."
"He thinks he's going to disappoint me?"
"Basically. He had a complicated relationship with his family, and they kinda ruined him for life. Until you came along, that is. Look, if you think he's worth the effort, don't give up on him. Because underneath the whole mysterious facade, he's got one of the biggest hearts. But if you don't, then back out now, before he gets hurt."
"How long have you known him?"
"I don't remember a time I didn't know him." Xavier shrugged. "Just think on what I said." He finished his drink and put some money on the table. "It was a pleasure meeting you."
"Yeah. Likewise." Bonnie said with a frown.