10

"Oh my god. So are you two, like, a thing now?" Caroline squealed.
"Care." Bonnie said.
"Fine. Boys out." Caroline demanded.
"Really?" Matt looked at her and she nodded seriously. "Okay. We'll be right outside."
"I'm glad you're feeling better, Caroline." Arkyn said, walking out with Matt.
"So you're dating Bonnie."
"Yeah." Arkyn replied. He held out his hand. "I'm Ark."
"Matt." He shook it. "I've seen you around school. You tend to keep to yourself."
"Yeah, I guess. I can be a little socially awkward."
"Really?" Matt looked at him, disbelievingly.
"Yeah. I've kind of been traveling my entire life. Never stayed in a place long enough to make friends."
"Oh. You live with your parents?"
"No. I live alone. Actually I live with my friends."
"That seems cool."
"They're more like a family. They're pretty much all I have. What about you?"
"I live alone. My sister's dead, and my mom's- well I have no idea where she is."
"I'm sorry."
"My friends are pretty much all I have too. That includes Bonnie, you know. She's a good person."
"I promise to respect her the way she deserves."
"Good." Matt nodded. "I'm gonna get some coffee. Want some?"
"No thanks." Arkyn shook his head and Matt walked away. Arkyn saw Elena walk past. He walked over and pulled her into a closet. He held her by the throat. "Hello, Katerina."
"What- what are you doing?" She spluttered, coughing.
"Cut the crap, Katerina. Elena just left with Stefan. I know who you are." He rolled his eyes. "Besides, there's just an air of desperation about you."
"You caught me." She stopped struggling and smirked. "Hello, Ark."
"What are you doing here, Katerina?"
"The same thing you are, no doubt. The doppelgänger. Your brother."
"You are not handing over Elena to Klaus."
"Why? You want the honour?"
"Please." He scoffed. "Stay out of this town."
"I'm on vervain. You can't compel me, Arkyn."
"I know. I can smell it on you."
"So what? You ask nicely, I leave?"
"No. You will leave or I will kill you. I will rip your heart out and mail your body to my brother."
"He'll be angry he wasn't the one to kill me."
"I know. I just don't care what he thinks. This is the only warning I'm giving you." He walked out of the closet, and resumed his spot. Soon Bonnie came out.
"Hey." She greeted. "You okay?"
"Katherine was here. Elena's doppelgänger."
"Wait, what?"
"I'm going to stay here for a while. Make sure she doesn't try to get in to Caroline's room."
"Oh my god. You really think she'll try something?"
"I think when it comes to Katerina, it's best not to underestimate her."
"Katerina?"
"Sorry. Katherine." He amended.
"You knew her?"
"Yeah. She, um, spent some time with my brothers."
"Oh." She looked at Arkyn and realised what he meant. "Oh."
"Yeah. It was a long time ago."
"Are you older than her?"
"Yes. I met her as a human. By which I mean, she was a human, I was not."
"How are you going to explain your presence?"
"I'll think of something."
"Okay. I gotta go. Tyler's dad died, and I have to check on him."
"Alright. I'll talk to you later." Arkyn kissed her on the forehead and she smiled, walking away. He walked into Caroline's room.
"Ark. Hey. What are you doing here?"
"I just wanted to see if you were okay. You know, make sure you're not bored all alone in this hospital room."
"That's sweet."
"Besides, Bonnie tells me great things about you. I had to come see you myself."
"She does?"
"Oh yeah. I hear you're Miss Mystic Falls?" She grinned widely at him.
"Yeah. I actually didn't think I was going to win. But Bonnie was really supportive."
"Well who else would they pick? From what I hear you were the perfect candidate."
"Bonnie really said that?"
"Yeah. She loves you."
"Well, I think you're good for her. Bonnie's never really had any boyfriends."
"Honestly, I've only ever dated one girl, a very long time ago. I guess, aside from her, I've never really had any girlfriends."
"What? Really? Why not?"
"I've never had good examples of love in my life."
"Tell me about it." She sighed. "My parents got divorced because my dad was gay."
"Wow."
"How about you?"
"Well my dad was basically an abusive pig. My mom cheated on him, resulting in my brother, who usually took the brunt of my dad's abuse."
"I'm sorry."
"I think the closest I got to seeing true love was my oldest brother. He fell in love and things were good between him and his girlfriend but he could never think straight when it came to her. He was a different person, but then he fell into a coma."
"Oh my god!" She exclaimed. "That's so tragic."
"Yeah."
"I'm so sorry. How long has he?"
"About nine years."
"Is he your only sibling?"
"I actually have three other brothers and another sister."
"Oh?"
"They're all... scattered around."
"You aren't close?"
"Not for about three years."
"Why not?"
"Family issues, I guess." Arkyn shrugged.
"I'm sorry. I tend to pry."
"That's okay. Maybe I should start paying you instead. You can be my therapist." He said with a smile.
"I should warn you that I can be a gossip sometimes, so maybe don't tell me big secrets."
"Well, you're honest."
"It's not always a good thing." She frowned.
"It is most of the time."
"So- and you can tell me to butt out if it's too personal- but why did you keep your distance from Bonnie?"
"No, that's a fair question. Like I said, haven't really seen good examples of love. So I found myself drawn to her, and I kinda freaked."
"Ugh, why do guys do that?" She sighed. "It's like the simplest idea of commitment makes you run away."
"We're idiots that way." He nodded in agreement.
"Are you mocking me?" She turned to him.
"No. Never! It's true. We are idiots. Most of us can't tell when we've got a good thing going. Matt seems to be a good guy though."
"He is." She smiled.
"Caroline Forbes, I think you're a splendid friend to have."
"Why, thank you, Arkyn..." she trailed off.
"Smythe. Arkyn Smythe."
"That sound so posh. And British. You kinda sound British."
"I'm not British, but I spent a lot of time in Europe."