5

Arkyn didn't stick around. He dropped Bonnie off at her Grams' and went back home. It was understandable that she needed some space from him. She'd spent a day held captive by vampires, so he apologised and went home. He hadn't seen her for the next few days and finally gathered the courage to ask Elena if she was okay.
"You haven't heard?" Elena frowned and Arkyn shook his head.
"Heard what?"
"Her Grams died. The tomb spell took a lot out of her."
"The tomb spell?"
"You should talk to Stefan. He can fill you in on all things vampire in this town."
"Is she at home?"
"She should be." Arkyn nodded and left. He went to her house and stood outside his car before texting her. It wasn't long before she came out to him.
"What are you doing here?"
"I just heard about your grandmother. I'm so sorry."
"Wasn't your fault." Arkyn took her hand and pulled her in for a hug.
"I'm sorry I wasn't here." He said, rubbing her back. She said nothing.

Eventually Arkyn had to leave Bonnie to be with her family- her aunts and cousins and everyone else mourning her grandmother. He decided to go to the Grill where he saw Damon and Alexis. He walked right over to them.
"I'm not interrupting, am I?"
"Yes." Alexis and Damon said at the same time.
"Good."
"Shouldn't you be consoling Bonnie? You know, be her night in shining armour?" Damon smirked.
"You're a dick."
"Oh come on, Ark. He's just joking."
"Lex..."
"You've never judged who I chose to spend my time with."
"He just basically forced Bonnie and her grandmother to open a tomb to look for Katerina." He said.
"Who's Katerina?"
"You know her as Katherine."
"You knew Katherine?"
"Of course I did. The whole human doppelgänger thing made her uniquely valuable to my brother."
"Your brother?"
"You really don't know much about anything, Damon." Arkyn said condescendingly.
"I know I don't like you."
"Let me guess, you're going to try kill me because now you have nothing better to do with your life seeing as your one true love doesn't actually care for you and you're in a self-destructive haze?"
"Oh, I wouldn't dream of it." He replied, obviously lying.
"Okay, I think it's time we go home. Come on Ark." Alexis pulled him away.

"Not him, Lex." Ark said.
"Oh come on. He's totally in love with the doppelgänger. And it's not like I'm dating him. I just met him over a drink."
"Hey, anyone, just not him."
"Fine, dad!" She rolled her eyes in annoyance.
"And Lex?"
"What?" She scowled.
"Attitude." He scolded. "And I'm okay without my siblings, you needn't worry."
"You say that now."
"Hey. I have had several lifetimes with them."
"And quite a few without them."
"I'm perfectly happy with the family I've got now."
"Uh-huh."
"Besides. If Klaus ever saw me, he'd just try to lock me in a box."
"Because you left him?"
"That and because he finds me a bore. Apparently Elijah's all the righteousness he needs in his life."
"I just think you'd be happier with them. I mean, do you have any friends? True friends?"
"I have you and Xavier. All Elijah would do is talk my ear off about always and forever and Nik would try to get me to indulge in what he refers to as the finer parts of life. And I've told you about Kol, Rebekah and Finn's whereabouts. Really, I'm better off, now get in the car." She pulled a face.
"You miss them."
"I miss the idea of them. I miss the human them. But that part of them died a very long time ago and I've already come to terms with that."
"And your dad?"
"Aside from the fact that he's out of commission, he's still a psycho jerk that I never want anything to do with."
"Right." She said suspiciously, as Arkyn got in the car. She finally got in and closed her door. Arkyn started to drive and she turned to him. "At least talk to him?"
"No, Lex."
"Why not?"
"I've said everything I needed to say to him. And he's already said what he feels."
"But what about always and forever."
"I was never really a part of that. That was Klaus, Elijah and Rebekah."
"I'm sure you and your other brothers were included."
"They were a family within the family. I was never a part of it. But that's okay. I have you guys."
"No it's not."
"Lex, I promise I'm okay."
"Fine. Consider the subject dropped. For now." She added.
"Thank you."
"No need to sound so relieved." She frowned, as Arkyn parked in the driveway.
"Xavier!" Arkyn called as he walked inside.
"What?"
"Can you babysit your sister?" Alexis punched Arkyn's arm.
"Hey! I'm right here."
"So you're telling me you won't go sleep with Damon Salvatore the moment I turn my back on you."
"Excuse me?" Xavier looked very interested as Alexis glared.
"Really?"
"Alexis!" Xavier scolded.
"Just keep an eye on each other. I'm going to The Hole." The Hole was a room in the basements where they went if ever they needed to blow off some steam. It was a tradition that had followed them from their house in LA, when Arkyn had built the room after literally falling through a hole in the ground and discovering the empty space.