31

"Hey. Xavier and Lex back?" Bonnie asked, as he approached her.
"Yeah, they're back home." He said.
"Wow. They're back less than a day, and you already look exhausted."
"If only the blame was all theirs." He sighed, leaning down to give her a kiss.
"I got some bad news." She said. He cocked his head to the side.
"Yeah?"
"Elijah's dead." She said. Arkyn stiffened.
"Pardon?"
"Well, not dead exactly. Daggered."
"Since when?"
"Yesterday. I only found out today." She told him.
"Who daggered him?" He said. "Because Stefan looks very much alive, and I guess his being at the school means so's Damon."
"It was Alaric."
"History teacher?"
"Yeah." She said. "Are you mad?"
"Not mad enough to go kill him, don't worry. Still the daggers are bad news. Elijah's never been daggered. Not longer than a few minutes, that is."
"You don't want him daggered?"
"I don't know what I want." He shook his head. "I don't really want to talk, or even think, about it."
"Well, there's more bad news. Katherine's out of the tomb."
"Yeah, that makes sense." He groaned. "Any more bad news?"
"I did something you probably won't approve of." She gave him an uncertain smile.
"Okay..?"
"But to be fair, I did warn you I wouldn't stay out of the fight to save Elena."
"You did." He acknowledged.
"My magic's gone." She said. "Yesterday, I kind of drugged Luka and delved into his mind to figure out what Elijah was up to. This was before Elijah was daggered."
"Bonnie!" Arkyn frowned. "That was excessive."
"Doesn't end there." She let out a sigh. "I figured out Klaus has his sister and that's why they're working with Elijah, but then later that night, Jonas found me and he was... upset to say the least. He took away my magic."
"Are you okay?" Arkyn's expression changed from disappointment to sympathy.
"I didn't know it'd be this hard. I lived without magic before, you know."
"No, you didn't." He said. "Magic is in your blood. I know how it feels to lose it. To be part of that world, get used to it, and then have it taken away. It's hard, and it's okay that you're upset."
"Why do you always know exactly what to say?"
"It's one of my superpowers." He smiled, jokingly. "Plus, I have about a thousand years on you."
"You're very old."
"Yeah, I am. When did you have time to drug Luka?"
"Remember how I went to get some lunch for us?"
"You weren't getting lunch."
"No, Jeremy did that while I... you know."
"Going into someone's mind. It's terrible magic. Strong, but terrible. Promise me you won't do that again?"
"Ark-"
"I know, you'll do what it takes to save Elena, but that kind of magic- it's addictive and leads to dark magic. And you don't want to know what that leads to." He begged.
"Well, it's not like I'm going to get a chance, now."
"Leave it to me. Okay? I'll make sure you get your magic back."
"Jonas and Luka hate you."
"That's true."
"What are you going to do? Compel them? Can you compel them? I know witches can't be compelled by vampires, but you're not a normal vampire."
"No. Witches and werewolves are off limits. I don't know why we can compel vampires, but they're the only supernatural creature we can compel."
"So how are you going to talk to them?"
"Well, I can't do anything today, but tomorrow I'll talk to Jonas. I won't hurt him, promise."
"Okay." She smiled. "Thank you." She leaned up to kiss him, and he pulled her closer. A few moments later they pulled apart.
"That was one hell of a thank you." He whispered. "Do you thank all the guys like that?"
"Only the cute millennium-old original vampires."
"I hope I don't have to compete with my brother."
"I don't think there's any competition."
"Hmm." He said. "But just to be sure." He bent down and kissed her. She smiled at him once they'd pulled apart.
"There's definitely no competition." She said.
"I'm glad to hear it." He said. She looked at him, her brow raised.
"What are you doing today?"
"Well," He took a step back. "there's some damage control."
"Damage control?"
"It's the first day back from a weekend with a woman as stubborn as, if not more, than they are. Xave'll be all moody and broody and Lex'll probably throw things at my head."
"You sound like that's a regular occurrence."
"Pretty much, yeah. I'd invite you along, but you're not at all ready to see their ugly side."
"That's okay." She smiled kindly. "I'll probably hang out with Elena and Caroline tonight."
"Things better between you three?"
"Yeah, definitely." The bell rang. "Ooh, gotta go. I have math with Turner."
"Meet you after class?" Arkyn gave her a quick kiss and she nodded, before running away from him. He watched her with a laugh.