26

Arkyn helped Alexis set the table as Xavier entertained Bonnie in the next room.
"You really like her." Alexis said as she got out the cutlery.
"I really do."
"Don't let Elijah or Klaus run you away. You deserve to be happy."
"I will do whatever is necessary to keep you and Xavier safe."
"Ark-"
"So, you finish that history paper you had due?"
"No. Almost. Can I get my phone back?"
"Not until the end of the week. You're still grounded."
"For doing magic? Getting kidnapped?"
"You can do magic, Lex. Just never exhaust yourself. And this has nothing to do with you getting kidnapped. This has everything to do with you going to Katerina and putting yourself in danger. Do you know how much you worried us when you didn't come home after school?"
"I'm sorry, Ark. I just wanted to help out, and then Jeremy got stuck in the tomb and I had to help."
"And you and Jeremy?"
"He's cute. And sweet." Xavier and Bonnie walked in.
"Hey. Everything ready?"
"Yeah, come on in." Arkyn nodded. Bonnie walked in hesitantly and he walked over and led her to a chair. He held it out for her and she sat down as he tucked her in.

Dinner was going great. Alexis did most of the talking, but that was nothing new.
"So where did you guys live before you moved to Mystic Falls?" Bonnie asked.
"L.A." Alexis answered.
"L.A. to Mystic falls. Must've been a huge change."
"You have no idea." Alexis groaned. Xavier just laughed at his sister's antics.
"Lex, we chose to come here." He said.
"Technically, you chose."
"You could always go back if you're not happy here. Of course that'd mean never seeing Jeremy again." Arkyn laughed and she blushed.
"Shut up!"
"How did you guys meet?"
"Ark knew our mom. We've known him all our lives. He spent a lot of time out of town, but he visited us so often, it was like he was always there." Alexis explained. "And when our dad left, he was around a lot more."
"And last year, when our mom died, Ark stayed. Helped us, so we moved out here with him."
"Oh."
"Don't even think about it." Arkyn warned her.
"Think about what?"
"Apologising."
"Right." She said.
"So why did you decide to move?" She asked.
"Arkyn said he wanted a change of pace." Alexis said.
"And this was the town I grew up in." He added.
"He figured it'd be the last place his siblings would think to look." Xavier carried on.
"Even if he supposedly wasn't hiding from them." Alexis said.
"So Bonnie," Arkyn tried to change the subject, but she cut him off.
"Have you really not seen your siblings since you left?" She asked.
"I saw Klaus once since then." Arkyn could see the curiosity burning in her eyes, but she didn't press for answers. He stood up. "Dessert?"
"I baked some cake." Alexis grinned, proudly.
"Yeah. With a cake mix."
"Shut it, Xave." She narrowed her eyes at her brother and Arkyn rolled his eyes.
"Xavier might technically be an adult, but when he's with Alexis, they both tend to act like five year olds." He whispered to Bonnie and the siblings continued bickering.
"How long do they go for?"
"Could take hours, if I don't step in." He said, before looking at them. "Xavier, Alexis. Both of you, calm down. We have a guest."
"Sorry, Bonnie." Alexis looked sheepish.
"Sorry." Xavier echoed. Bonnie grinned.
"So are you in college?" Bonnie asked him.
"No, after mom died, I decided to take a year off before I started college. Stay with Ark and Lex."
"I'll go get dessert. Behave, you two." Arkyn stood, piling the dinner plates and heading to the kitchen. He emerged holding four plates with a slice of chocolate cake on each and a dollop of ice cream on the side.
"That looks delicious, Alexis." Bonnie thanked.
"Well, I'm glad someone appreciates my effort." She huffed.
"You know we love you, Alexis."
"If you did, you wouldn't be calling me that, Arkyn." She glared.
"Sorry. Lex." He corrected.
"So it's just you three then?"
"Well, yeah. I mean, deadbeat dad, dead mom. Ark's really all we've got."
"There's always your grandmother, you guys."
"You mean the same one who hates you and disowned mom?"
"The same one who adores you and only worries about you."
"She gave me a stake for my seventh birthday." Xavier said.
"Well, I admit she does harbor some negative feelings towards me, but she cares about you."
"Could you imagine if she found out you're an original?" Alexis asked.
"Your grandmother's a witch?"
"Now, now. No need for nasty words, Bonnie." Xavier teased. Her eyes widened.
"I didn't mean it as an insult. I'm just asking if she's a witch, like us, not a witch like-"
"He's messing with you, Bonnie. Xavier knows exactly what you mean." Arkyn put a hand on her shoulder as Xavier laughed.
"Yeah, she's a witch. A traditional one, that is."
"Xavier and Alexis could do with a little bit of tradition, though."
"Ark likes to tell us off for not hating on vampires." Alexis rolled her eyes. Bonnie raised her brow.
"He likes pushing people away so they don't end up hurt." Xavier added.
"I've noticed." She said, dryly. "Been on the other side of the whole 'pushing others away' thing once or twice."
"Just because those two refuse to accept vampires aren't the best of people, and you refuse to accept I'm not the best of people, doesn't mean I'm wrong."
"Ark, we grew up knowing you. In what scenario would you ever hurt us? Or anyone?" Alexis narrowed her eyes.
"I've seen you half starved and still exercise more restraint than Alexis in the company of a boy." Xavier added.
"Fuck off, Xavier." Alexis scowled.
"Xavier, you do not talk to your sister that way. Apologise." Arkyn glared. Xavier ruffled his sister's hair, and gave her a half hug.
"You know I was kidding, Lex."
"And Alexis, we do not use that kind of language at the dinner table."
"Sorry." She frowned.